Program Officer – Disaster Risk Management
Purpose of the position:
To plan, implement, monitor and document all the DRR activities in a semi-arid to arid context within the designated BORESHA project sites within Mandera County as per the proposal. Provide necessary technical support, related trainings, follow-up, and guidance to the staff, targeted community members, stakeholders and partners and also provide feedback and reports to the Project Manager including NO within stipulated timeframes.
Project Implementation and Monitoring, 65%
· Responsible for the implementation of the all activities in the livelihoods and resilience project with focus on DRR in partnership with partners within the Consortium.
· Contribute to effective and timely implementation of Community Led-DRR interventions and initiatives with communities and partners.
· Mobilize and sensitize representatives from line Government ministries, County Government and other stakeholders to proactively take part in strengthening community resilience to shocks.
· Develop and impart necessary trainings for staff, community members and partners related to DRR strategies and community based approaches.
· Jointly with partners carry out vulnerability and capacity assessment exercises and develop and update hazard risk maps.
· Develop and maintain networks with external actors in the Triangle and across the border on DRR, Early Warning/Early Action and emergency response/recovery.
· Support the contingency planning process including cross border disaster preparedness and response interventions.
· Liaise with the Project Manager, and the DRR/DM Coordinator to effectively support the project to carry out all measurements – baselines, assessments, designs, monitoring and evaluations – in accordance with WV established standards, policies and procedures.
· Coordinate with the Project Manager and Project l M & E Officer to ensure that appropriate controls, monitoring and evaluation tools are in place and being utilized in a timely manner in the project measurement.
· Monitor and support the timely and appropriate utilization of budgeted resources for all BORESHA project’s DRR interventions.
· Participate in concepts and proposal development and general resource mobilization/acquisition.
Reporting and Documentations, 30%
· Compile the necessary monthly, quarterly and annual reports for forwarding to the Project Manager, and NO based DRR/DM Coordinator capturing the progress against approved work plans and budgets.
· Attend the regular weekly and monthly planning meetings as called upon.
· Regularly document success stories, key learnings/innovation for sharing across the partnership.
· Develop context specific electronic and live media communications on community DRR activities.
· Ensure the Project design document is updated as per DME standards.
Any other duty 5%
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:
The job holder must have at least a Degree in Disaster Management, Rural Development or related course.
Demonstrable technical capacity in disaster risk management, resilience and rural development.
Minimum 3 years’ experience in designing and supporting the implementation of DRR and livelihoods programmes.
Understanding of partnership approach to emergency work and experience of working with local partners.
Experience of working in insecure environments.
Working under own initiative with a variety of different stakeholders.
Good knowledge of humanitarian principles, emergency response, rehabilitation and recovery.
Substantial understanding of Monitoring and Evaluation as well as accountability towards donors and beneficiaries.
Proven skills in financial management in the field.
Experience working with NGOs and ability to cross Mandera Triangle Borders will be an added advantage;
Must have a good understanding of the different systems of extension delivery in an inter-faith context and
- Self driven and able to work under stress.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Compatible with WV mission, ethos and core values.
- Must be committed to WVI Core Values, able to stand above denominational or religious diversities.
- A good communicator who is willing and able to work as an active member of the BORESHA Response team.