Programme Manager-Investing in Women South Sudan (IIW SS)
The Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF) is a leading development finance organisation that supports businesses to innovate, create jobs and leverage investments in order to create resilience and sustainable incomes in rural and marginalized communities in Africa. Launched in 2008, AECF has invested in 343 businesses across more than 40 value chains and 26 countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
We focus specifically on agribusiness, renewable energy and climate technologies, while also addressing the crosscutting themes of gender, youth and fragile contexts. In just over a decade, we have impacted more than 27.7 million lives, created close to 24,000 jobs, and leveraged over US $740 million in matching funds.
AECF is headquartered in Kenya, with offices in Côte d’Ivoire and Tanzania.
The Investing in Women in South Sudan programme is a five-year initiative with a goal to enhance economic empowerment of women in the agricultural sector in South Sudan through financing of SMEs and women producer groups. The programme has three main objectives, namely,
Reducing gender specific barriers of women’s participation in agricultural value chains.
Increasing adoption of gender sensitive climate smart agricultural practices.
Improving employment/livelihoods of women in agriculture and food systems.’
The Programme Manager will be responsible for the overall management of the programme which includes ;delivery of program results, efficient management of financial resources, monitoring and evaluation, coordination with project implementing partners and reporting to the funding partner.
- Take lead in setting up the South Sudan office, team management and prudent execution of the programme activities in line with the approved proposal and budget.
- Lead the planning and execution of the detailed market assessment and gender focused value chain analysis of different agriculture value chains in South Sudan, including the potential for synergies and partnership strategies with other programmes and agencies, i.e. women’s rights organisations, CBOs, training providers, etc.
- Lead planning and execution of the IIW-SS programme including overseeing the competition process, identifying and shortlisting potential investible businesses; conducting and coordinating operational, financial and strategic due diligence reviews, and preparing investment memos.
- Oversee the contracting of investee companies, carry out on-going portfolio management of selected companies, and monitor project implementation to achieve program goals.
- Support the portfolio companies (agribusinesses) to develop their business cases incorporating climate smart technologies, innovations and solutions.
- Plan and use resources (people and/or finance and/or physical assets) in accordance with AECF guidelines and delegated accountability so that objectives are achieved in the most effective manner possible.
- Coordinate capacity needs assessments for design of Technical Assistance and Business Development Service products and monitor delivery of the same.
- Undertake the capacity needs assessment (technical, financial, equipment, knowledge etc) of the investees related to the introduction of new climate smart agricultural practices and technologies, and recommend solutions.
- Maintain productive working relationships and linkages with donors, and other development partner organizations, international organizations, government departments, private sector partners, sector leaders etc.
· Working with the AECF Impact team, develop and maintain results measurement plans ensuring they align with the program objectives and theory of change.
· Ensure compliance with internal controls and integration of AECF’s enterprise-wide risk framework into the IIW-SS program.
· Represent AECF in all in-country activities with key stakeholders.
Required qualifications, experience, and attributes.
· A Bachelor’s degree in Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, Business Administration or other relevant field.
· A minimum of seven (7) years program management experience in one or more of the following areas: finance, agriculture, agribusiness, SME finance, rural financial services and adaptation to climate change.
· A good understanding and working experience in fragile contexts and proven track record working with agri SMEs.
· Experience in value chain development, climate smart agriculture, and agribusiness finance.
- Ability and demonstrated experience of designing and appraising inclusive business cases.
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects.
- Experience managing gender-responsive programs/investments.
· Excellent analytical and communication skills with the ability to prepare proposals, reports and concept papers to a high level of proficiency.
· High degree of initiative and energy, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail.
· Excellent interpersonal skills including strong work ethic, impeccable integrity, and judgment.
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The AECF considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
How to apply
If you believe, you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role Register & Apply on https://recruitment.aecfafrica.org
To be considered, your application must be received by 14 th July 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please visit www.aecfafrica.org