Programme Officer – Community and Public Engagements
The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) is a non-aligned, non-political, not-for-profit Pan-African organization headquartered in Nairobi, with a hosting agreement with the government of Kenya. The AAS’s vision is to see transformed lives on the African continent through science. It is the only continental Academy in Africa enjoying the support and recognition of the African Union, and with joint programmes with NEPAD Agency, now the African Union Development Agency (AUDA), as well as several governments and major international partners. It has a tripartite mandate: to recognize excellence through its highly prestigious fellowship and award schemes; to provide advisory and think tank functions for shaping the continent’s Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) strategies and policies; and to implement key STI programmes aimed at addressing Africa’s developmental challenges
The AAS is seeking to recruit for the position of Programme Officer – Community and Public Engagements to support the CPE Manager provide engagement support for the Clinical Trials Community (CTC) online platform and the Grand Challenges Africa (GCA) programme. The incumbent will also be expected to work in close collaboration with the CPE Manager on other AESA managed programmes through provision of operational and other support in order to achieve the overall strategic goals of the Academy.
Clinical Trials Community Platform Initiative Overview
A program of the AAS and its partners, The Clinical Trials Community (CTC) is an online open database of African clinical trial sites and capabilities that seeks to aggregate clinical trial research center intelligence across the African ecosystem to:
1) Promote African research centers by providing a platform that improves their visibility, optimizes the use of clinical trials grants across research centers and helps them sustain operations and staffing beyond individual grants through collaboration across the clinical research ecosystem.
2) Reduce unnecessary duplication of effort in identifying, collecting and submitting clinical trial site feasibility assessments at the beginning of every new project.
3) Develop a robust, open access, and up-to-date database of the African clinical research landscape including a catalogue of existing clinical trial capacity, regulatory requirements, performance, and predictability for clinical and translational sciences across countries.
4) Increase capability to understand where there are duplication and gaps in capacity and funding and enable transparency of future investments and their impact.
The Incumbent will be a strong advocate for; an overall increase of clinical trial activities and investments in Africa, African clinical trial sites and their capabilities, African led health technologies and innovations and broadly, the value engagement brings to ST&I. This work will contribute to developing a resilient, innovative and relevant research ecosystem in Africa.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities;
- Increase stakeholder buy-in for the CTC Platform;
· Coordinate engagement forums/workshops for the platform
· Support risk communication and community engagement initiatives to address disinformation on clinical trial conduct in Africa
· Coordinate with the CTC SPO to identify, engage and register new members on the platform
Provide and promote continuous engagement/training modules on the platform for Institutional Review Boards /Ethics Review Committee members on clinical trials
Moderate a community of practice that allows knowledge sharing among members on the platform.
Coordinate with relevant teams to conduct periodic end user experience perspectives on the platform
Translation of the platform into other languages;
· Liaise with the CTC and Communications teams to translate the CTC platform into French, Portuguese and Arabic languages over time to cover the needs of the continent
Liaise with the Communications team to increase communication activities that promote visibility of the platform to potential users e.g. scientific communities on the continent, government officials and local communities where the work is conducted.
Support engagement activities for the Grand Challenges Africa programme.
Support any other engagement activities for AAS’ ST&I programmes as shall be assigned.
· A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Community Development, Anthropology, Communication for development, or a related field. A Masters’ degree will be an added advantage.
Knowledge and Experience
· Minimum seven (7) years’ work experience, with at least 5 years in community and public engagement in biomedical research. Experience in engagement in clinical trials will be added advantage
· Good understanding of health research ethics
· Extensive knowledge of clinical trial networks and clinical trial funders (public and private). Access to these categories of key stakeholders will be an added advantage.
· A track record of building productive internal and external relationships and working across organisational and/or sector boundaries to deliver successful collaborations; and
· Knowledge of Science Technology and Innovation landscape on the African continent.
Skills and Attributes
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work in an international and multi-cultural setting
· Ability to achieve organizational goals through teamwork
· Have enthusiasm, commitment to results with good planning and organizational skills
· Strong presentational skills and ability to address public audiences;
· Excellent negotiation skills and an ability to influence outcomes through tact, diplomacy and effective reason and persuasion
· Good financial capability
· Ability to hold and maintain high moral standing with impeccable integrity.
How to apply
All Applicants must submit a filled application form from the AAS website
, curriculum vitae, and a cover letter submitted by email to [email protected] with the Position and Vacancy Number as the Subject no later than 17th July 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.