Position type: Full time
Hiring Manager: Director, HCDExchange
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Date posted: September 14, 2020
Date applications due: 5pm September 20, 2020 (EAT time)
Desired start date: As soon as possible
The HCDExchange is a community of implementers, funders, designers, evaluators and youth committed to advancing learning and practice related to the integration of human-centred design (HCD) and adolescent sexual and reproductive health (ASRH) in low-resource settings, with a particular focus on countries in Sub Saharan Africa and South Asia. The HCDExchange aims to elevate young people’s agency, and systematically transform sexual and reproductive health outcomes for adolescents.
John Snow, Inc. (JSI) and inSupply Health, Ltd. joined forces to host the HCDExchange and engage the ASRH+HCD community in advancing practice and building a robust ecosystem of dedicated actors. JSI is deeply committed to improving the health of individuals and communities, working for over 40 years in partnership with people, their communities, organizations, and governments to advance health outcomes and build responsive health systems. inSupply Health, Ltd. an East African JSI affiliate, cultivates locally grown solutions and builds capacity to strengthen health systems and supply chains and to improve people’s access to quality, affordable health services and products in Africa. inSupply’s team of African professionals co-design solutions with clients and communities, embedding HCD approaches in implementation models and deploying innovative methods for reaching youth, such as gaming platforms. inSupply also empowers young professionals through internships and placements.
In 2018, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, William & Flora Hewlett Foundation, and the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation funded a convening in Tanzania bringing together people and organizations working at the intersection of HCD in ASRH. This gathering showcased best practices, generated interest, and resulted in the launch of working groups to advance this field. More importantly, those involved started to see themselves as a community with a shared agenda.
In 2020, this same set of funders is supporting the next phase of this work — the HCDExchange — a community built on a collaborative model and dedicated to (1) establishing a supportive infrastructure, and (2) facilitating commitment amongst key actors. Our vision: a democratized (inclusive of diverse participants), localized (contextually relevant), and mutualized (jointly owned) HCD+ASRH field. During this phase, we are accelerating the development of a robust, efficient, and transparent HCD+ASRH field by increasing access to learning and networks and generating evidence about good practices, models, and effectiveness.
Purpose of the Programmes Analyst
The HCDExchange team is searching for a Programmes Analyst based in Nairobi with willingness to travel in the region. As an integral member of the team, the candidate will play a crucial programme management and administrative support role in the HCDExchange’s activities, implement projects, and help to generate new business.
Our ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial mindset, is passionate, energetic, and curious, and a flexible and adaptive thinker. He/she is team oriented with a demonstrated ability to get things done, build and sustain momentum with activities and partners, and seeks robust, creative solutions to problems.
She/he is highly organized and system and process oriented to enable themselves and the team to produce high quality work under tight deadlines. S/he has a passion and desire to learn and build deeper skills in monitoring, learning and evaluation, an affinity for data and analytics, systems thinking, multi-disciplinary approaches and project management.
The Programmes Analyst will work under the direction and supervision of the HCDExchange Director, and collaborate with the broader HCDExchange team including staff, consultants, Youth Leadership Hub, and Advisory Committee members
Roles & responsibilities
- Collaborate with HCDExchange team members, Youth Leadership Hub, working groups, Advisory Committee to develop and implement work plans
- Provide technical and operational support in the implementation of HCDExchange community strategy and learning agenda, program improvement strategies, management approaches and interventions at all implementation levels and for all clients and partners, traveling as and when needed.
- Provide administrative support to the HCDExchange Director, and the broader HCDExchange teams for events such as convenings, webinars, and meetings.
- Support the Learning Lead to implement HCDExchange Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (MELP), update tools and systems such as monthly performance dashboards. Support in conducting regular review and analysis of project and program monitoring indicators in the monthly performance dashboard.
- Support documentation and reporting of processes, success stories, experiences and sharing of lessons learned within the HCDExchange and ensure their dissemination in line with the organizational, funder and HCDExchange community learning requirements. Help track knowledge and learning resource products produced by the community.
- Support the Community Manager maintain robust community data information systems – including but not limited to maintaining the HCDExchange’s community member database and other strategic partnership contacts.
- Provide critical programme backstopping support as follows:
- Ensure that Airtable, Google Drive, and the HCDExchange calendar are organized and up to date with collaboration with Program Coordinator and Program Manager
- Schedule regular or ad hoc meetings and ensure that collaborative notes are taken
- Coordinate the setting of meeting agendas, contribute to improving meeting formats/practices, and ensuring that all meetings have a facilitator and POP (Purpose, Outcomes, Process)
- Shortlist candidates for recruitment, schedule interviews, and handle communication with candidates
- Provide financial management support by ensuring that recurring (service, software related) and one-time payments are tracked and managed. Collect the necessary supporting documentation to process the payments and ensure that budget approval is granted
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and experience
Given that the programmes analyst position is a stepping-stone to an Advisor/Specialist role, HCDExchange is searching for a Kenyan candidate who is interested in growing with us as we evolve, and is open to and actively seeks regular and specific feedback about all aspects of professional and personal growth.
The programmes analyst will be expected to commit to an implementation model that includes continuous self-assessment and improvement, both professionally and personally, and peer-to-peer learning and support, all using a variety of performance improvement techniques and a competency framework. S/he has a strong background in monitoring and evaluation, complemented by experience in program management, youth programming, adolescent sexual and reproductive health and human centered design.
Applicants for this position should possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in project management, monitoring and evaluation, social sciences, public health or related field required
- At least five years work experience, with a minimum of two years working in adolescent sexual health programming
- Ability to work comfortably with virtually collaborative tools for intuitive project/task management, knowledge management, virtual meetings, customizable dashboards, time tracking, easy communication and at-a-glance calendar management
- Excellent spoken and written communication, presentation, and organizational skills
- Ability to coordinate varied tasks, work independently and manage work plan
- Ability to work as part of an internationally diverse team
- Ability to travel 20%-30% time within East Africa, with occasional international travel possible
The following skills are highly desirable:
- Knowledge and experience working with human centered design
- Prior experience working with communities of practice
- Quantitative, qualitative research and analytical skills, including experience with mining, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data.
- Familiarity and skills with using Excel for analysis, statistical software and/or data visualization software
- Experience in any of the following program areas: adolescent sexual and reproductive health, family planning, behavioral economics.
- Fluency or conversance in French
How to apply
To apply, please visit HCDExchange.org/apply and submit your CV and a short cover letter outlining why you’re an excellent candidate for this role.
This is a full-time position based in Nairobi, Kenya. We offer excellent benefits.
Note that this is a “local hire” — candidates must be nationals of a country located in Sub-Saharan Africa. This position is for Kenyan nationals only.
The application deadline is 5pm on September 20, 2020 (EAT time). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.