Project Officer Health and Nutrition
Concern Worldwide is an international non-governmental humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Kenyan nationals for the following position:
Job Title: Project Officer Health and Nutrition (2 Positions)
Reports to: Program Manager ,Health and Nutrition, Wajir
Direct reports: None
Job Location: Wajir County
36 (thirty six) months fixed Term Contract Renewable Subject to Availability of Funds and Performance
Starting Salary of the Pay Grade – Kes 99,197 per month
Hardship Allowance for Non Residents of Wajir
Group Medical Cover (Principal + 2 Dependants)
To provide technical leadership, guidance as well as hands on support to the Sub County Health Management Team to strengthen their capacity and skills in the implementation of Maternal, New born and Child Health (MNCH) and Nutrition through an integrated health systems strengthening approach; to work with community groups building the community resilience while strengthening their knowledge and capacity on health and nutrition services and appropriate care taking.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide technical support to MoH on delivery of MNCH and Nutrition components at health facilities and when need be outreach sites;
· Assist the Project Manager to provide technical support to partners in the implementation of the project.
· Work with partners to implement work plans as agreed;
· In partnership with the Sub-County Health Management Team (SCHMT) including the Sub County Medical Officer in charge of health (SCMOH), Sub County Public Health Nurse, Sub-County Nutrition Coordinator, Public Health Officers and the hospital nutritionist develop and implement monthly work plans for the Sub-county;
· Liaise closely with MoH at County and Sub-County level to promote ownership and integration of nutrition services into existing medical systems including the development of a concrete plan of action for the programme at the health facilities;
· Ensure programme quality control through implementation of monthly and quarterly M&E;
· Work closely with the Project Manager in monitoring the health situation in Concern areas of work;
· While working with the facility health workers and the sub county health management team, support the rural health facilities to establish referral systems and create referral links for access to in-patient and other services beneficial to the beneficiaries not provided by the rural health facilities;
· Support with operationalization of community Units and community mobilization activities; plan trainings , routinely engage Community Health Volunteers and Community Health Assistants;
· Support with documentation of the programme implementation process to generate lesson learning as well as case studies;
· Preparation of monthly reports, briefs and quarterly reports;
· Contribute significantly to the development of regular donor reports;
· Attend and adequately represent Concern in Sub-county meetings/fora as may be required;
· Together with MOH and other partners involved in delivery of health services in the Sub-County, conduct joint support supervision visits;
· Work closely with the MOH and other partners to ensure that all health facilities have adequate drug supplies in the MNCH and Nutrition service areas;
· Liaising with Logistics, IT, Transport, Finance and HR departments in Nairobi to provide logistical and administrative support to the program.
· Participate and contribute as necessary towards Concern’s emergency response as and when necessary and comply with Concern’s health, safety and security guidelines during emergencies
Responding to Emergencies:
· Participate and contribute as necessary towards Concern’s Emergency response as and when necessary
· Comply with Concern’s health, safety and security guidelines during emergencies
Program Participant Protection Policy:
· To adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Program Participant Protection Policy and Concern Code of Conduct to their team, partner organizations and beneficiaries, and be committed to providing a safe working environment.
· To contribute to the establishment of preventive measures to reduce the potential for abuse in Concern program (as per P4 section 6)
· BSc in Nutrition or related field (Masters in Public health or related field is an added advantage)
· At least five (5) years’ experience in Maternal and Child Health and Nutrition programming with experience of nutrition and health system strengthening in both a development and emergency context. Two (2) years’ experience in a management position
· Previous employment or extensive collaboration and networking with NGOs.
· Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform; ability to manage several major multidimensional activities simultaneously.
· Ability to travel extensively to supported sites.
· Proven success partnering with the Ministry of Health and extensive collaboration and networking with NGOs
· Good understanding of cross cutting issues-gender, HIV and AIDS, DRR, etc. and how to integrate them into public health/nutrition programmes
· Excellent interpersonal, communication, networking, coordination and leadership skills Proficiency in the use of computer applications
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time.
Concern has a Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants, especially beneficiaries, from abuse and exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, partner organisations, and anyone engaged by Concern or visiting our programmes, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context all Concern staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct of their work in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern will be expected to sign the Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as appendices to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies candidates demonstrate they have understood its content and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. Any breach of the Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies by employees of Concern during the course of their employment will result in disciplinary action up to, and including, dismissal
Concern’ is the trading name of ‘Concern Worldwide’, a company limited by guarantee, registered number 39647; registered charity number CHY 5745, registered in Ireland, registered address is 52-55 Lower Camden Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. Follow Concern online: www.concern.net
CONCERN WORLDWIDE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT CHARGE FOR ANY KIND OF RECRUITMENT