Project Officer Job Farm Africa
Project Officer Job, NGO Jobs in Kenya July 2020,
JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERSONS SPECIFICATION
JOB TITLE: Project Officer, Crops
REPORTS TO: Project Coordinator
STAFF REPORTING TO POSTHOLDER: None
LOCATION: Embu County: 1 in Manyatta Sub County and 1 in Runyenjes Sub County
DURATION & HOURS: Fixed term, full-time,
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To be responsible for the agricultural development activities of Farm Africa – Kenya ‘“Development of pulses value chain and complementary farming systems through regenerative agriculture’’ project funded by AGRA. This post works directly with farmers on a day to day basis on agricultural activities and motivates farmers to look at agriculture as a business. It requires a solid technical background in general Agriculture and training
experience and ability to interact with government officers, private sector players, and other NGO partners. This position requires a direct commercial sector experience and the incorporation of regenerative agriculture practices to the Village Based Advisors model.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Regenerative Agriculture Technical Input in Project Implementation
- In liaison with the PC and other project staff, develop an effective and coherent strategy for implementing the regenerative agriculture practices in climbing beans and maize production system that is fully integrated with Leguminous and resilient crops.
- To ensure provide relevant technical information to facilitate project budgeting, management and implementation of regenerative agricultural development work in Embu county
- To develop mutually beneficial partnerships with relevant government departments, NGOs and other institutions involved in agricultural development work in the project area.
- To assist the PC establish the VBA model and roll out an appropriate Village based
- Advisors (VBAs) farmer network (s); one in each of the sub counties that is inclusive of the regenerative Agriculture component in line with back-donor requirements Training/Capacity Building
- Develop relevant training materials as per Farm Africa (FA) guidelines
- In liaison with KARLO and the County extension services, to conduct trainings in regenerative agriculture practices for crop production and soil & water conservation for farmer groups in Embu County. In all trainings, the PO should offer technical backstopping to ensure high quality delivery
- To identify and support VBAs with Regenerative agriculture demonstration site selection & establishment and training of identified Farmer groups in Embu County in line with Farm Africa farmer model.
- To build the capacity of the Village based Advisors (VBAs) and the local communities to include and manage regenerative agricultural practices for improved production and incomes sustainably
- Jointly with the relevant staff to ensure timely and quality completion of all project regenerative agriculture activities including required procurement in keeping with FA procurement policies
- Participate in Project Monitoring Evaluation and Learning
- In collaboration with other Project team members, to review monitoring indicators [both process and impact] for the regenerative agriculture components.
- To participate in the baseline assessment and analysis during the project initiation phase and all other studies and documentation activities.
- To participate in routine and annual stakeholder consultations and workshops in furtherance of the work of Farm Africa.
- To provide information for Farm Africa quarterly reports and donor reports to the Project Coordinator in the agreed format and according to organisational deadlines.
- To participate actively in monthly and quarterly staff meetings.
- To complete staff appraisal with the Project Coordinator in line with Farm Africa appraisal system.
Any other duties as directed by the line manager, Programmes Manager and Country Director
- These essential functions are not to be interpreted as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established.
Education, qualifications & other knowledge
- Relevant diploma level qualification e.g. agriculture and agri-business value chains
- Knowledge of the development & policy environment in Kenya
- Understanding of farmer group dynamics and aggregation and marketing strategies
- Bachelors degree in relevant subject
- Valid motorcycle license & off-road motorcycle driving experience
- Previous NGO or private sector work experience in rural development
- Skills in seed production, multiplication and marketing.
- At least 2 years relevant work experience Commercial sector experience desirable
Skills & abilities
- Farmer participatory approaches
- Project planning & implementation
- Data collection, entry & analysis
- Field level training
- Knowledge & practical experience of the farmer field school approach
- Negotiating & managing partner relationships
- Communication (both verbal & written) • Capacity building of organisations
- Investing in smallholder farming is the number one way to combat poverty in rural Africa. Farm Africa is a leading NGO specialising in growing agriculture, protecting the environment and developing businesses in rural Africa.
- EXPERT. Deep expertise and insightful evidence-based solutions are at the heart of everything Farm Africa does.
- GROUNDED. Positive change starts with Africa’s people, so our experts work closely with local communities, engaging them in every level of decision-making.
- IMPACTFUL. We take a long-term view so we can deliver lasting changes for farmers and their families.
- BOLD. We model innovative new approaches and are not afraid to challenge strategies that are failing.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you meet the above requirements for this position, submit your cover letter indicating the title of the position and the expected salary (maximum 1 page) along with an updated CV with email and telephone contacts of three professional referees addressing to [email protected] with the subject line Project Officer before or by 5.00pm EAT on Friday 17 July 2020.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Farm Africa is an equal opportunity employer and promotes gender equity. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Farm Africa does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. (E.g. Application, interview, meeting, processing, training or any other fees).