Psychosocial Counsellor – Bungoma
Title: Psychosocial Counsellor – Bungoma
Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since the 1950s, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners. Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV/AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH. In 2012, as part of a global reorganization process, Save the Children combined the programmes of SC UK, SC Canada and SC Finland to create a single operation in Kenya. In Feb 2014, we completed a second transition, which saw us join forces with the British INGO, Merlin, and merge their health and nutrition programmes with our own. Save the Children now has an operational presence in Bungoma, Busia, Dadaab Refugee Camp, Mandera, Turkana and Wajir and we work through partners in many other parts of the Country. In 2016, Save the Children established a new project office in Madagascar whose operations are managed by the Kenya Country Office.
The Psychosocial Counselor is responsible for field level implementation, inter-agency coordination and monitoring and evaluation of psychosocial support activities as well as providing leadership and guidance to community/local counsellors at the areas we will be operating from. Provides direct counseling services to children identified or referred by SC sectors, community structures, volunteers and other partners, deliver capacity building training for programme staffs, community structures, volunteers and staff from partner agencies/institutions.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Reports to: Senior Child Protection Officer
Contract Duration: 12 months
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least a Diploma in Counseling Psychology, a Degree in Counseling Psychology is an added advantage.
- At least 3 years’ minimum experience providing counseling services for SGBV survivors.
- Experience working with children survivors of violence will be an added advantage.
- Should be registered with the Kenya Counsellors and Psychologist’s Association (KCPA).
- Knowledge of community based child protection approaches, preferably including experience in participatory approaches (PRA/PLA) and child participation methodologies.
- Ability to use a wide range of child counseling methodologies
- Good managerial and IT skills including the use of Word and database software
- Demonstrable ability to adapt to changing programme priorities and emergency priorities that may arise
- Strong self-starter, able to take initiative and adapt to changing circumstances and priorities
- Positive attitude towards community work with emphasis on the ability to learn from communities and support innovative approaches to problem solving
- Commitment to Save the Children’s Child Protection Policy.
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili, both verbal and written, required.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children International’s aims, values and principles.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures
- Ability to work in teams
- Experience in designing and facilitating training sessions and activities for children and community structures.
- Experience in developmental setting and/ or understanding of local languages especially Bukusu or Sabaot would be an added advantage.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a Job Description, please visit our website at
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child Protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=Zm11Z2lyYS44NDEzMC4xMjE4NUBzYXZldGhlY2hpb…