PUBLIC FINANCE CONSULTANCY – TACC
Jhpiego is a nonprofit global leader in the creating and delivering of transformative health care solutions for the developing world. In Kenya, we work with national and county governments, health experts and local communities. We also build the capacity of health providers and develop systems that save lives now and guarantee healthier futures for women and their families, and especially the world’s most vulnerable.
We are currently seeking consultancy services of a Public Finance specialist with experience in Kenya’s Public fiscal space, and skilled in capacity building of health sector grassroots advocates on the same. The consultant should be particularly knowledgeable in the following areas: How the government prioritizes and allocates resources, expenditure and reporting/tracking at national and sub-national levels in the health sector; Health financing mechanisms such as the Global Financing Facility (GFF), National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF), Universal Health coverage (UHC) and other innovative health financing models; Health sector tax arrangements.
The consultant will work under overall oversight of the TAAC Kenya’s in-country program leads with support from the TAAC programme global team leads.
Scope of Work
Prepare a training package focused on the public health sector financing processes, associated tax arrangements and financing mechanisms with a special bias to family planning and maternal health supplies focused on the elements described above.
Map public finance barriers to family planning and maternal health supplies at the national and sub-national levels.
After mapping (task 2 above), develop a 12 -18 month associated priorities with the highest potential to be achieved within this time period through civil society-led advocacy and accountability efforts.
Use the training package developed in 1 above to conduct a 4-day capacity building session on a newly established civil society advocacy collaborative Kenya hub whose members include national and sub-national (grassroots) partners.
A Kenya public finance capacity building resource package for family planning and maternal health supplies for grassroots civil society advocacy and accountability partners.
A 12-18-month civil society advocacy and accountability priorities mapping for family planning and maternal health supplies. The expected mapping package is specific to unlocking public financing barriers from the most opportune budgeting touch points and should include: clear decision maker engagement pathways at the national and subnational levels, opportunities to foster 12-18 financing prioritization and allocation, timely release and expenditure; political and champions building opportunities; and accountability approaches/pathways.
Capacity build the Kenya TAAC hub members using the training package developed under deliverable 1 above.
Consultant is expected to provide a detailed phased delivery plan to guide Jhpiego team for quality coordination and timely delivery of the support required.
Consultant is expected to provide a detailed phased delivery plan to guide Jhpiego team for quality coordination and timely delivery of the support required. Desired Qualifications/Specialized Knowledge
Desired Qualifications/Specialized Knowledge
• At least 10 years of health public finance practice in Kenya with demonstrated deep understanding of the current financing structures, systems and associated mechanisms for family planning and maternal health supplies – Refer to example areas of interest in the introduction paragraph 2 above, development of associated capacity building materials and training on the same targeted at grassroots civil society advocates.
• Extensive knowledge of the Kenya’s national and sub-national family planning and maternal health supplies overall financing and accountability processes
• Previous consultancy experience with Ministry of Health, health bilateral agencies or international NGOs on public financing for health supplies and commodities
• Knowledge/experience of the Kenya health sector budgeting and budget execution systems
• Available to start work immediately
• Advanced degree public health finance, economics or related field will be an added advantage • Demonstrated analytical, communication and report writing skills.
Timelines: This consultancy is expected to be fully covered by March 31, 2021 and takes a total of 14 days
How to apply
If you meet the above selection criteria, kindly email the following to [email protected] not later than 24th February 2021
- Your expression of interest summarizing your understanding of the ToRs
- A technical proposal
- Cost estimate
- Contacts of 3 organizations that have recently contracted you to carry out a similar assignment.
NB: All these documents combined should be a maximum of 8 page
We wish you all the best!