RE-ADVERTISEMENT: HSRE Social Scientist, Schools Engagement Programme Lead.
The post holder will draw on experience from the fields of health research/education/public engagement/social science to support innovation and excellence in the implementation, evaluation and research on community and public engagement (CPE) with health research. This will extend to research on adolescent health (or a related field).
A significant proportion of the work will be to provide leadership and development for the KWTRP School Engagement Programme (SEP).
This role will comprise 3 broad areas:
- Oversight and strategic direction of SEP.
- Evaluation of the CPE component.
- Social science research that can contribute to deeper understanding of engagement.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversight and strategic direction of SEP:
a) Strategic planning and leadership of the SEP at KWTRP. This includes raising funds for engagement, the development, implementation and evaluation of engagement activities across the programme.
b) Oversight of existing SEP activities and conducting participatory research to develop and implement new and innovative school engagement methods and approaches.
- Evaluation of CPE:
a) Monitoring and evaluation of SEP, and wider monitoring and evaluation of CPE in discussion with Head of Engagement.
- Social science research to contribute to deeper understanding of engagement/adolescent health:
a) Developing research on community/public/school engagement and/or adolescent health at KWTRP and supporting existing community/public engagement research and disseminate findings to local stakeholders and broader audiences. This will involve the supervision of a broad range of staff including but not limited to: SEP staff; Full-time PhD students; Post-doctoral researchers and PhD students conducting engagement projects; masters students; PGD students and School Leavers’ Attachment students.
1.Managing budgets, ensuring maximum efficiency in the allocation of resources and skills for the execution of activities.
2.Contribution to the KWTRP through regular participation in:
- Health Systems and Research Ethics Management Group.
- Communication and Consent Committee meeting monthly to review ethical aspects of research proposals including informed consent forms.
- Community Liaison Group planning meetings.
- The production of content for the KWTRP websites and open days
- A PhD in a social science, or evaluation is desirable
- Master’s degree in Education/social science/Health promotion/public engagement/health research.
- Proven project management skills and experience of managing staff in social science research projects, educational outreach or public engagement initiatives
- Demonstrated experience of communication and coordination with education stakeholders at all levels;
- Experience in conducting mixed-methods social science research involving the collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data;
- The candidate must have published at least three peer reviewed scientific papers in the fields of community/public engagement, or health research.
- Excellent written communication skills with specific experience in writing: applications for funding; scientific protocols;
- Ability to communicate in local Kenyan language(s).
- Experience in the supervision of students up to and including PhD level.
- Experience in participatory action research.
How to apply
To apply for the post, please click on the below link:
**If you had applied for the position, you need not re-apply