Regional Data Hub (RDH) Information Management Officer
Position Title : Regional Data Hub (RDH) Information Management Officer
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 January 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic
Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini,
Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Established in early 2018 at the Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa, the Regional Data Hub (RDH) aims to support evidence- based strategic and policy level discussion on migration through a combined set of initiatives. These include: strengthening regional primary and secondary data collection and analysis; increasing Information management capacity across countries; providing technical support to ensure harmonization and interoperability of key methodologies used to monitor population mobility; and the engagement of key stakeholders and governmental counterparts in migration dialogue and consultation.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director for East and Horn of Africa, the direct supervision of the Regional Data Hub Coordinator and in close coordination with the EU Reintegration Facility and Better Migration Management Unit, at the regional level, and with information management cells, at the country level, the successful candidate will be responsible for leading the Information Management initiatives aiming to streamline data management and analyse mixed migration movements, trends, and its characteristics across the region.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage the technical aspects of Regional Data Hub (RDH) Information Management (IM)
initiatives and ensure synergy of various related tools and systems development at the regional, country, and Headquarters (HQs) level.
Provide technical advice and support to mixed migration IM regional and country level data collection systems, including different type of mobility and tracking systems.
Coordinate the development and enhancement of the integrated methodology for data collection and information packaging as required and needed by regional mixed migration and mobility programming.
Lead and coordinate the design, mapping, assessment and monitoring of regional mixed migration data sources and make these available for internal and external reports and publications.
Conduct data analysis and produce statistical data on timely basis commensurate to the needs and demands of the programmes and to inform decision making processes and programmatic priorities.
Manage RDH technical staff in assigning tasks and making sure their performances are optimized.
Monitor and advice, on the production of information products in relation to regional and country-level mobility data sources, including, but not limited to, analytical and statistical reports, displacement and migration profiles, maps and other relevant products, to ensure their highest possible quality.
Implement training and other capacity building activities to IM staff in the region.
Provide technical liaison with relevant stakeholders to present, discuss, advise, and explore potential development and initiatives in relation to the implementation of projects activities under the RDH at the regional and country levels.
Provide advisory services and technical support on information management approaches and practices in other areas of work of the Regional Office (RO), including: collection, processing and analysis of data and information; and information management policies and procedures, with an emphasis on technological applications.
Research, analyse and evaluate new applications related to information systems, to new technologies and processes to manage information in response to RDH needs.
Represent the RDH at relevant working groups or initiatives that require information management and data analytics.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Database Management, Software Development, Geographic Information Systems, Statistics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in information management, emergency humanitarian operations management and
coordination of information flows, data management including collection, storing, processing, and analysing data to generate information products;
• In-depth knowledge of the latest technological developments in information technology and information systems;
• Demonstrated ability for leadership in the context of partnership building and consensual decision-making;
• Proven skills to analyse statistical information;
• Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and operating procedures;
• Ability to translate planning-specifications into technical briefs for data capture and analysis, and vice versa;
• Ability to compile and holistically analyse diverse datasets;
• Experience with handling confidential data;
• Demonstrated team-building and information management skills;
• Demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies;
• Knowledge and understanding of relational data theory;
• Experience in advanced data visualization and information design skills.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any regional language is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.