Research Associate – Community Nutritionist
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and ambitious Research Associate – Community Nutritionist to contribute to the implementation of the Development and Delivery of Biofortified Crops (DDBIO) at Scale project in Kenya.
The Position: The Community Nutritionist will coordinate nutrition sensitive agriculture activities around the biofortified orange-fleshed sweetpotato (OFSP) in selected counties and contribute to the design, implementation and monitoring of nutrition education, communication and behavior change activities. S/he will work closely with implementation partners, including County Governments, and act as the liaison for nutrition related issues at national level and in the implementation counties.
- Coordinate project nutrition activities and provide continuous technical support on all aspect of nutrition to various stakeholders
- Network and collaborate with relevant sectors and agencies in implementing nutrition activities at national and community level including Ministry of Health, County authorities, community health extension workers, community leaders and other relevant stakeholders to ensure their involvement in project activities relating to nutrition
- Identify and support nutrition education trainings at county levels in project implementation areas
- Facilitate/co-facilitate all nutrition education trainings and contribute to the development of training tools and modalities.
- Participate in the design, development, and implementation of an M&E framework for all nutrition related activities in Kenya.
- Write reports to document the process of implementation, lessons learnt and good practice and ensure information is widely disseminated
- Assist the community health extension workers implementing nutrition activities to develop monthly work plans.
- Ensure regular meetings with the Sub County nutritionists and community health extension workers
- Participate fully in reviewing the community training guides and counselling cards
- Identify and document locally available foods and develop recipes
- Oversee and guide staff in providing on-site cooking demonstrations and workshops
- Identify areas of synergy in the field with the Ministry of Health and other implementing agencies working with communities.
- Carry out community based nutritional promotional activities targeting community groups.
- Support private sector and commercial partners with their nutrition campaigns and messaging
- Support and work with the Food and Nutritional Evaluation Laboratory team with translating lab results into messages for communications.
- Support the communication teams with nutrition messaging and promotional activities in Kenya.
- Master’s degree in Nutrition, Community Nutrition, Public Health or a related field.
- At least 6 years working experience in community nutrition at county level and or government level.
- Experience in use of maternal, infant, young child and adolescent (MIYCAN) in nutrition training.
- Advanced level of MS Office.
- Advanced knowledge of database work.
- Advanced statistical research analysis.
- Scientific papers production and publishing.
- Advanced level in written and spoken English.
- Fluent in Kiswahili.
What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Kenya nationals and permanent residents only. The employment contract will be for a one-year term (with a 3-month probation period).
How to apply
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/internships/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on June 29, 2020 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org**
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.