Research Job in Kenya
– Livestock Genetics
date: 4 August 2020)
International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Research
Associate to support and supervise activities in the diagnostics unit.
food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries
through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is
the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal
agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia,
it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast
Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and
West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Preparing and validating tick-borne diseases
(TBDs) recombinant antigens.
- Perform serological and molecular diagnosis of
tick-borne and other diseases, analyse data and present results.
- Procurement of all the laboratory reagents and
consumables required and liaise with the technology manager to replace and
procure new equipment.
- Ensure all laboratory users, including ILRI
regular staff, visitors or any other person who would like to work in the
unit adhere to the required procedures and observe Good Lab Practices
- Train students and visiting scientists on the
ELISA technique for tick borne disease diagnoses as per their needs.
- Invoicing and follow up payments for the
diagnostic services rendered.
- Perform any other related duties as may be
- Prepare, ship and process payments for ELISA kits
for outside users.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences or equivalent
with five years’ relevant experience
- Experience working with scientific tests on
- Knowledge and experience working and performing
serological and molecular assays will be an added advantage.
- Experience in data analysis and report writing
- Broad knowledge of methods and techniques and
standard operating procedures related to area of operation.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and good
personal organisational skills.
- Good judgement and willingness to take initiative
based in Nairobi, Kenya.
job level HG 12 and it is only open to Kenyan nationals. The position on a
2-year fixed term contract. ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits
package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances.
cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can
bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of
three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional
qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational
Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/ before 4 August 2020. The position title
and reference number REF: RA/07/2020 should be clearly marked
on the subject line of the cover letter.
for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only
shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting,
processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on
applicants’ bank accounts.
ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org