Research Officer Job in Kenya
Research Programme (KWTRP) is one of the leading research centres in Africa.
The Programme engages in a wide range of research on the main causes of ill
health in Africa.
We are seeking to
appoint a postgraduate researcher with Masters completed in the field of
molecular entomology to work in the Biosciences department. This position is
supported by the BOHEMIA project (Broad One-Health Endectocide-based Malaria
Intervention in Africa) which will fund two cluster randomised controlled
trials in Mozambique and Tanzania to evaluate the use of ivermectin mass drug
administration for malaria vector control. The efficacy of this intervention
will be evaluated through primary epidemiological outcomes and supported by
secondary entomological outcomes.
The KWTRP will be the
central laboratory of the BOHEMIA project. We are seeking to appoint a
researcher to support the future laboratory analysis of the entomological
samples that will be received from both trial sites. He/She will have solid
knowledge of medical entomology, molecular biology assays including PCR, ELISA,
MALDI-TOF MS, Sanger sequencing, primer design and computational analysis.
He/She will be expected to supervise and train junior research staff, oversee
all laboratory activities, including SOP writing, quality control checks,
sample storage and data collection. Furthermore, the candidate will also
contribute to report writing, data analysis and dissemination through
publication writing and presentations.
REPORTS TO: Principal
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: Managing the
BOHEMIA budget allocated to laboratory including equipment, consumables and
JOB DIMENSIONS: Laboratory based
at KWTRP in Kilifi, Kenya.
- Oversee and coordinate all BOHEMIA laboratory and
insectary-based activities according to GCLP;
- Draft and review SOPs and manage all project
documentation according to GCLP;
- Perform, optimize and train staff on laboratory
assays including DNA extraction, PCR, qPCR, ELISA, Sequencing, and
- Ensure proper sample shipment, management and
- Writing of laboratory reports, data analysis and
- Support the project data manager on the lab data
management where needed;
- Cooperate with BOHEMIA consortium research
partners in regard to entomology work package wherever appropriate;
- Support the supervision and mentoring of students
and research assistants working in the BOHEMIA project;
- Support the PI in coordinating the
laboratory-based activities of BOHEMIA.
- Masters in medical molecular entomology
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Biological sciences or
other related field.
- At least 3 years of research experience
- Preferentially with experience working with
- Proven record of experience with laboratory- based
research and various molecular biology techniques;
- Working experience in data analysis and use of
statistical analysis software such as STATA or R;
- Experience in gene sequencing, primer design, PCR
and computational analysis of genomic data;
- Keen interest in research;
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to present and summarise results for
reporting and publication;
- Ability to work independently with minimal
- Team working skills with the ability to work in a
How to Apply
All applicants are required
to state their current/last salary.
Candidates must supply
an email and telephone contact that will be used when offering
interviews. Only shortlisted candidates will be
contacted. Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce ORIGINALS of their National
Identity Card, academic and professional certificates, original
transcripts and testimonials, detailed curriculum vitae and valid clearance
certificate (certificate of good conduct) during the interviews.
The application closing
date is 24 February, 2021.