Research & Policy Analyst Job AFIDEP
Research & Policy Analyst Jobs, NGO Jobs 2020, AFIDEP Jobs
Position: Research and Policy Analyst– Demography Emphasis
Positions: 2 (1 position based in Kenya, 1 position in Malawi)
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is a regional non-profit research and policy Institute established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. Our primary purpose is to contribute to sustainable development through using evidence and advocacy to strengthen political commitment and resource allocation for development issues; informing the design and implementation of effective interventions; and strengthening governance and accountability structures for tracking development challenges in Africa. AFIDEP is registered as a Non-Governmental Organisation in both Kenya and Malawi (where it has offices) and as a non-profit institution in the USA with 501(c)3 status. For further details about AFIDEP and its work refer to www.afidep.org.
This position seeks a dynamic and experienced postdoctoral researcher to join our research team in an exciting project on traditional methods of contraception in West and East Africa, specifically in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya, and Democratic Republic of Congo. While the position is based in either Kenya or Malawi, the successful applicant should expect to liaise with researchers in other offices of AFIDEP and to collaborate partners in different countries.
The successful candidate will have a PhD in Demography or a quantitative degree with formal training in demographic methods. The position is at the level of Research and Policy Analyst on AFIDEP’s pay structure.
- PhD in Demography, Social Statistics, Epidemiology, or Economics
- Formal training in technical demography (including life tables, demographic rates, proximate determinants of fertility, multiple decrement tables etc).
- Policy engagement, evidence synthesis and knowledge translation
- Minimum of two years practical experience in project management
- Minimum of two years’ experience of research including conducting surveys, mixed methods, analysis of data and reporting
- Proposal development, and managing researchers
- Competent user of statistical software and understanding of qualitative software
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage with collaborators from diverse cultures
- Excellent communication and writing skills including scientific writing, policy briefs and popular stories (e.g. blogs)
- Organisational skills and ability to track project deliverables
- Use of Computer Assisted Personal Interviewing Software
- Budgeting of projects
- Developing and implementing policy engagement interventions
- Delivery of face-to-face and virtual training workshops for adult learning
- Monitoring and evaluation of projects.
- Knowledge of French will be an added bonus
How to apply
Candidates meeting the above qualifications MUST email:
1) A motivation letter illustrating their suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies and skills
2) Updated CV including three relevant referees
Applications should be sent to [email protected] not later than 23rd June 2020 with the title; ““RESEARCH & POLICY ANALYST – Demography Emphasis” as the email subject. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.