Sanergy Research & Development Manager Job
Research & Development Manager Job, Engineering Kenyan Jobs June 2021,
Position: Research & Development Manager
Location: Kinanie, AthiRiver
Sanergy has just finished construction of a large scale waste treatment facility capable of converting organic wastes into insect protein, organic fertilizer and briquettes. We have been successfully rearing the black soldier fly (BSF), using the larvae to convert wastes into valuable proteins and frass. The protein is high quality, capable of replacing fishmeal as more sustainable protein input closing the loop. Now, we want to create even more value from this process by improving volume, cost and quality with formulation and process improvements.
What can you expect?
In this role you will be leading a small unit driving the improvement of a core product line in Sanergy’s product portfolio, working on improving a process that truly embodies the circular economy. You will be interacting across multiple functions to land changes into a process where even small changes have massive impact. You will have regular opportunities to present your work to senior leadership. You will be challenged to deliver ambitious results – and experience both professional and technical growth as you succeed. Your work is both highly technical and highly practical – for example: prepare to do highly technical trial design in the morning, and be out in the field in the afternoon.
- Own the project portfolio for a BSF process unit: Lead the prioritization of R&D breeding team projects with the R&D Improve Manager and decide what the team should focus on now, and work on next.
- Drive process development through R&D: to optimise a unit process within the BSF technology platform, focusing on improving yields, health and overall performance
- Test and trial: conduct bench and pilot scale research to determine feasibility and capability of new project ideas. Test new products in the field, and with customers.
- Own R&D unit targets: from solution identification to trial sequencing and implementation. Coordinate and execute trials, equipment scoping, handover documentation and training for Operations team
- Keep at the cutting edge: Conduct regular literature reviews, competition/peer engagements and process data reviews to remain up to date in composting and bioconversion technology, and generate further research leads
- Maintain product and process specifications: Own and develop specifications for products and processes
- Coordinate and manage your unit to success: Lead a small team to deliver R&D targets for a process unit. Support team work planning and solving blocks to successful project delivery.
- Tie your work to the business: Perform cost/benefit analyses to determine marginal profitability of improvements
- Degree in Science- or Engineering-related field
- Advantageous: experience with BSF rearing or similar processes, experience with bioconversion processes; practical experience converting organic wastes into valuable products
- Proficiency with Office suite tools or equivalent especially in Excel skills: you have used Excel or an equivalent tool to collect and analyse data, build models
- Proficiency in experimental and trial design, working knowledge of statistics: you know your way around standard metrics, and how to set up controlled experiments, especially in production environments
- Strong problem-solving skills: you have shown the ability to abstract and solve ambiguous, challenging problems
- Effective time management, organizational, and prioritization skills: you have demonstrable ability to manage projects and use basic project management skills
- Attention to detail: you have shown that you are thorough, detail-oriented, don’t make assumptions, check and validate yours and others’ work, you catch typos and errors
- Clear communication: you capture your thoughts and theories in writing, you write great emails, you communicate at the right level to the right audience, you use formatting and templates to highlight key information, you use pictures, graphs and visuals to communicate complex topics effectively
How to apply
Application deadline: 30th June 2021
Click here to Apply
Sanergy is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression.