Senior Deputy Chief Radiation Protection Officer at Ministry of Health
Vision A Healthy, productive and globally competitive nation Mission To build a progressive, responsive and sustainable health care system for accelerated attainment of the highest standard of health to all Kenyans Goal Attaining equitable, affordable, accessible and quality health care for all Mandate Health
Salary Scale: Kshs.132, 000 – Kshs .195, 410 p.m. (CSG – 5)
House Allowance: Ksh.48,000 – 60,000 p.m. (depending on duty station)
Commuter Allowance: Ksh.20,000 p.m.
Leave Allowance: Ksh.10,000 (once yearly)
Medical Cover: As provided by the government
Terms of Service: Permanent and Pensionable or Local Agreement
For appointment to this grade, an officer must have:
- served for a minimum period of fifteen (15) years and currently serving at the grade of Assistant Chief Radiation Protection Officer (CSG 7) and above or in a comparable and relevant position in the public service or private sector;
- a Bachelor of Science Degree in any of the following disciplines: Physics, Chemistry, Nuclear Engineering, Physical Sciences with a bias in Atomic, Radiation or Nuclear Science or equivalent qualification from a university recognized in Kenya;
- a Master of Science degree in any of the following disciplines: Physics, Chemistry, Nuclear Science, Nuclear Security, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Engineering, Emergency Management, Geographical Information Systems, Occupational Health and Safety, or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution;
- a professional certification in any of the following areas: Radiation Protection, Radioactive Waste Management, Nuclear Security and Nuclear Safeguards from a recognized institution; and
- demonstrated professional competence and managerial capability as reflected in work performance and results.
Duties and Responsibilities:
An officer at this level will head either the Regulatory Services or Technical Services. As Head of Regulatory Services, the officer will be responsible to the Secretary, Radiation Protection Board for:
- coordinating development, implementation and review of policies, procedures, standards, strategies, guidelines on regulation of radiation protection, and nuclear safety & security;
- advising on regulation of radiation protection, and nuclear safety & security; coordinating provision of nuclear forensic services to Government MDAs;
- designing strategies for monitoring and evaluating compliance to Radiation Protection Act Cap 243, nuclear and radiation safety & security standards, and Treaty on Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) and other relevant instruments;
- coordinating inspection and examination of any premises or any part thereof, irradiating devices, radioactive materials or any other source of ionizing radiation for purposes of compliance, licensing, registration and transportation; and
- coordinating research on emerging issues and trends in regulation of radiation protection, nuclear safety and security.
As Head of Technical Services, the officer will be responsible to the Secretary, Radiation Protection Board for coordination and administration of Nuclear Security, Radioactive Waste Management, Non-Ionizing Radiation and Research and Development functions. Specifical duties and responsibilities will include:
- coordinating development, implementation, interpretation and review of policies, procedures, standards, strategies, guidelines on regulatory oversight of radiation protection, and nuclear safety and security;
- authorizing examination and enquiry on radioactive materials, irradiating devices, facilities, activities and radiation workers to ascertain compliance to the provisions of the Radiation Protection Act Cap 243 and other regulations;
- reviewing license applications/applicants and presenting to the Board technical committee for approval;
- coordinating radiological and nuclear emergency preparedness and response activities;
- overseeing border surveillance activities in collaboration with other state agencies/stakeholders; and
- overseeing development and implementation of the national Integrated Nuclear Security Support Plan (INSSP) and the Radiation Protection Board’s Integrated Management System (IMS).
The post Senior Deputy Chief Radiation Protection Officer at Ministry of Health appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.