Senior Financial Analyst at Pawame
Pawame provides solar home systems (SHSs) and more to off-grid communities in Africa on a rent-to-own basis. Starting from our base in Kenya we are tackling the huge challenge (opportunity!) to electrify and serve the >160 million households (70% of the population) in sub-Saharan Africa that don’t have access to grid power.
Our SHS is not just cheaper, cleaner, and more convenient than traditional solutions, it’s transformation: by the time our customers have paid off their systems (after about 18 months) we are able — using technology, proprietary credit scoring and innovative payment schemes — to profitably offer them an array of life changing products and services that they would not otherwise be able to access or afford.
Ultimately we aim to be not just an energy access company but a leading provider of products and services to the ‘bottom of the pyramid’, a trusted life partner for our customers, and one of the most respected consumer brands in Africa.
ABOUT THE ROLE
For Pawame to make evidence-based business decisions, we must understand any risk the business may be exposed to, our financial condition, and the trends that might impact the organization. The Financial Analyst will turn that information into actionable intelligence that the CEO and the management can use to make decisions.
The Senior Financial Analyst must be detail-oriented and strategically minded. The individual’s responsibilities will include assisting with financial planning and budgeting processes, analyzing financial statements and reports, developing financial models, preparing projections, and performing research and analysis in support of the senior leadership decision making.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
Financial Planning & Analysis
- Develop, maintain and control a detailed corporate financial model.
- Conduct business studies on past, future and comparative performance and develop forecast models.
- Consolidate and analyze financial data (budgets, income statement forecasts etc) taking into account the company’s goals and financial standing. Maintain alignment between the financial model and the business plan and budgets.
- Provide creative alternatives and recommendations to reduce costs and improve financial performance
- Advise the CFO on, and drive implementation of, business and financial strategies to aggressively drive profitability and optimal financial performance.
- Effectively identify, communicate and support in managing potential future risks.
- Works closely with product development, marketing, new business development, and other project teams in evaluating the viability of moving to new markets, introducing new products and setting up new systems.
Provide informed financial data in all aspects of investment portfolios to ensure profitability
- Analyzing & monitoring of the impact and financial performance of existing investments including those of products, process enhancements, campaigns and geographical expansions.
- Prepare monthly profitability reports to provide more analysis of the business revenue, cost centers and investments.
Business planning & analysis
- Control and evaluation of monthly operational and capital expenditure to ensure business plan objectives are met.
- Perform Analytical assignments on business cases developed by various departments to assess the financial impact of their investment and budgetary decisions against the financial performance of the business.
- Preparation of periodic (Daily, Monthly & Quarterly) reports to enable management to evaluate performance and take appropriate action.
- Conduct budgeting trends and variance analysis.
Ensure compliance with external stakeholders
- Create regular reports on financial and other covenants as required under the external obligations of the Company.
- Oversee, together with internal finance team, the adherence of various processes to ensure integrity of reports and data and issue early warnings to CFO/other Senior team members on the foreseeable compliance issues.
KEY CROSS-FUNCTIONAL RELATIONSHIP & INTERFACES
- Working with the Corporate Development team in the analysis and closing of project finance transactions, including term sheet development, negotiation and assisting in due diligence processes.
Procurement & Supply Chain
- Work with the Procurement & Supply Chain team in creating boundaries for new product negotiations.
- Support in setting forth policies on customer qualification, re-financing and other aspects of portfolio health management.
Sales & Field Operations
- Give estimations of how many sales are needed in order to generate revenue or break even.
Required Education & Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or equivalent business experience
Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or Accounting.
- 3+ years of progressive responsibility and track record of success working as a financial analyst in a major company, financial institution and/or accounting firm.
- Good experience partnering with cross functional executive teams.
- 5+ years of progressive responsibility and track record of success working as a financial analyst in a major company, financial institution and/or accounting firm.
- Good experience partnering with cross functional executive teams.
- Financial acumen: Expert in the understanding and application of theoretical and practical approaches to finance and financial management.
- Analytical ability: Demonstrate the ability to analyze financial data/reports and produce actionable insights that drive business performance generally and in specific problem areas.
- Conceptual Thinking: Ability to analyze hypothetical situations or abstract concepts to compile insights and apply them to give suggestions.
- Ability to think strategically, i.e.:
- To think about a complex system in a holistic, integrated fashion.
- To link strategy to implementation and develop strategically-focused plans.
- Business strategy and planning skills.
- Ability to bring structure to unstructured problems or situations.
- Strong general management skills
- Expert in excel & preferably with ability to work with Xero.
- English fluency.
- High proficiency in financial modelling.
- Strong quantitative and analytical competency.
- Leadership: Proficient leadership skills and ability to motivate diverse cross-functional teams without having direct authority over them
- Organization: Strong organizational skills with structured, systematic approach to financial and business management, an eye for detail and dependability with a strong sense of accountability.
- Entrepreneurship: Energetic self-starter who demonstrates strong resourcefulness and personal initiative. Requires little hand-holding to deliver complex tasks. High level of energy and motivation
- Communication: Strong oral and written communication skills. Comfortable presenting to senior management and large groups.
- Flexibility: Adaptable and comfortable in fast-changing start-up environment. Comfortable in uncertain and/or ambiguous situations. Fast learner. Willing to contribute in areas beyond formal job description.
- Cross-cultural skills: Ability to operate effectively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Uncompromising integrity.
- At Pawame, we are a diverse team of highly energized local and international people, committed to listening to the needs of our consumers in the rural populations in East Africa without access to clean energy. Everyone from our intern to the founders contributes to our success in different ways.
- Every team member in Pawame has the same drive and excitement towards achieving our goals. Working hard and being creative are synonymous in our startup life.
- You will have the opportunity to directly impact low-income off-grid consumers, dramatically improving the lives of many families.
The post Senior Financial Analyst at Pawame appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.