Senior Gender Advisor – Job Reference No. SGA 05/2018 (READVERTISEMENT)
Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent. While both men and women are engaged in agriculture in Africa, their roles are often differentiated by gender and women face significant difficulties in accessing quality inputs, finance, extension services, information about available opportunities and markets. AGRA recognizes that closing the gender gaps in access to and control over resources, and promoting the empowerment of women and youth are all essential to catalyzing and sustaining an agriculture transformation in Africa.
Therefore, AGRA’s vision for a sustainable, inclusive agriculture transformation in Africa, requires the inclusion and empowerment of women, men and youth, at all levels of the agriculture system. AGRA has recently rolled out a new 5-year strategy to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. AGRA will deliver this strategy through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support this transformation, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the position of Senior Gender Advisor.
Reporting to the VP, Policy & Partnerships, the Senior Gender Advisor, will be in charge of ensuring a gender strategy is in place and an understanding of the same by staff, grantees and all other partners at both regional and country levels. S/he will be the key resource in providing quality advisory services to AGRA management and to the country teams in regard to incorporating gender within all programs and activities at AGRA. S/He will be responsible for providing technical support and coordinating internal capacity building, as well as promoting the capacity of partners and grantees through integration of a gender approach in policies and programs, across AGRA. S/He will help position AGRA as a knowledge leader and technical leader in the Gender space with various stakeholders.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Support the development and refinement of AGRA’s gender strategy and approach
- Lead in developing and adopting a gender policy with internal accountability and reporting mechanisms including promoting a good working atmosphere
- Support the strengthening of AGRA’s country plans by incorporating strong gender governance and thinking
- Be the gender focal person on all gender matters at AGRA in relation to policy priorities, programme development and donor funding
- Identify and supervise the work of expert consultants providing substantive inputs to the work programme
- Lead interdisciplinary work and initiatives with the donor community, government, public sector, AGRA countries, multilateral organisations and NGOs to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment at national, regional and global levels
Advisory to AGRA staff and leadership on incorporating gender within all programs and activities at AGRA
- Provide leadership, timely and high quality advisory services to AGRA management and to the country teams on Gender, ensuring that outputs are delivered in a timely manner according to budget
- Develop and draft policy guidance, policy positions, issues papers and factsheets on gender, for a range of audiences
- Lead in conducting evidence-based analysis, and policy dialogue within AGRA and with relevant stakeholders on Gender issues
- Exercise quality control of policy guidance products and reports on gender;
- Ensure capacity building of AGRA staff and teams to set and deliver against gender specific targets
Technical support and capacity building for AGRA grantees
- Develop guidelines for reference by potential grantees and staff during proposal solicitation and development
- Support the design and development of proposals to ensure incorporation of a well laid out gender strategy
- Consult with grantees to develop new grant ideas around gender in achieving sustainable productivity growth according to AGRA’s strategy
- Conduct project visits and provide technical guidance on gender during monitoring and evaluation
Knowledge management and thought leadership in gender
- Driving the advancement of knowledge management and thought leadership in gender development activities
- Write project reports, gender technical briefs, abstracts and document success stories
- Develop and implement effective communication strategies for policy products to maximise their value, visibility and impact within AGRA and the food security and sustainable development community
- Represent AGRA at designated international meetings and conferences, prepare briefing materials, speaking points and make presentations
- o Lead in convening meetings and workshops on gender capacity building
Resource mobilization and partner engagement:
- Lead fund-raising activities for AGRA’s programming from funding sources that specifically address gender advancement ensure the agreed work programme activities are supported by a sustainable funding base
- Foster relationships and develop strategic partnerships with partner organizations, countries, multilateral organisations and NGOs, working on gender and development.
Key Qualifications and Experience required
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant work experience working in similar organization or institutions e.g. a bilateral aid agency, a multilateral organization or with a partner government on gender issues in a developing country context (analytical, policy and operational). Excellent track record in leading evidence-based analysis in the field of development and gender-related issues;
- At least five (5) years’ Senior-Level experience designing and implementing programs and/or gender development policies and activities in developing countries;
- A Master’s degree in political sciences, public policy, international relations or other relevant discipline with a specialization in gender and development. Relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of this.
- An understanding of various African gender laws and devolution related legislations; Understanding of international conventions on gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Deep understanding of both the government and private sector policies and governance structures;
- Experience and proven capacity to communicate effectively with different counterparts (government authorities, heads of agencies, civil society, and the private sector) to align actors and build networks;
- Experience in managing complex initiatives with proven ability to develop high impact partnerships;
- Proven leadership ability to influence, develop and empower employees to achieve their best with a team approach;
- Excellent organizational, and problem solving/decision making skills;
- Intelligent, motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal skills and work ethics;
- Results and detail orientated with a very hands-on approach;
- A working knowledge of French will be an advantage.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the successful candidate.