Senior Officer ICT | ReliefWeb
Concern Worldwide is an international non-governmental humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Kenyan nationals for the following position:
Job Title: Senior Officer – ICT
Reports to: Coordinator – HR & Administration
Direct Reports: None
· Programmes and Systems Teams
· ICT Department at HQ in Dublin and Regional ICT Advisor
Nairobi office with frequent visits to the field
Fixed Term One (1) Year Renewable Contract subject to availability of funds and performance
Starting Salary of the Pay Grade – Kes 108,870
Group Pension after Confirmation of Appointment
Group Medical Cover (Principal + 2 Dependants)
Group Life Cover
Group Personal Accident Cover
Ensure the IT system in Concern Kenya is functioning smoothly and efficiently in compliance with the Organisation’s strategy and policy and standards
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide direction for ICT needs in the country programme
· Align ICT policies and procedures to international standards
· Ensure the organisation derives maximum value for money from its ICT investment
· Provide continuous and effective ICT solutions to the organisation
· Keep abreast of current ICT technologies and standards and provide direction and advice based on knowledge and understanding of current technologies/ICT trends within the market
· Ensure that all staff in the organisation offices have adequate and appropriate ICT skills
· Ensure that all computer users are provided with adequate and appropriate trainings based on needs identified
· Perform ICT reviews in field offices to ensure the systems are working as per defined standards and procedures
· Participate in the piloting of ICT projects and contribute towards any ICT initiatives.
· Liaise with the ICT team in head office and the region to ensure that systems are accessible and running smoothly
· Periodically update line managers and senior management team on developments in telecommunications issues in the country with a view to improving connectivity as well as reducing costs of connectivity
·Installation, configuration and maintenance of all communications equipment
ICT Strategy and Policy:
· Implement ICT Strategy and Policy in Kenya.
· Formulate and implement country IT plans, based on impact within the Country Programme framework.
· Sensitize country staff to changes and improvements in technology.
· Proactively understand the software needs of the country and manage and supervise the implementation through the use of contractors (where appropriate).
· Proactively understand the ICT needs of the communities served by the organisation and implement systems so that ICT can be used as an instrument of development and for evaluating the impact of the organisation.
Server and Network Monitoring and Maintenance:
· Routine check-up of server functionality through monitoring, storage space and general health of the servers to ensure maximum uptime.
· Carry out other tasks on the servers through active directory delegation as deemed by the ICT department.
· Check Power backup systems including UPSs and inverter status and engage with budget holders on options for funding replacements when necessary to ensure maximum uptime of the system.
· Protect the server and data (data security, virus scanning as per the organisation’s policies and guidelines) as part of preventive maintenance routine
· Routine check of the condition of the network and propose necessary upgrades or changes to ensure efficiency.
· Maintain a log for server, network and general ICT problems.
· Ensure compliance in terms of data backup and storage.
· Monitor backup of users’ volume on the server disk at the end of every week.
· Carry out server backup/restore (as per the organisation’s policies and guidelines) – disaster recovery with the help of the regional and helpdesk staff.
· Ensure offsite backups are taken at least once a week.
· Help users in day-to-day ICT problems such as logging into the network, printing to network printers, recovery of deleted files, monitor problems affecting server configuration files etc.
· Advise users and induct new users to follow ICT polices and guidelines including roll-out and sensitization to staff on ICT User Regulations.
· Coordinate various ICT training programmes for Concern Kenya staff.
· Keep a log of users’ complaints and support/solutions provided.
· Provide technical support for the use of Concern’s corporate software such as Microsoft Dynamics GreatPlains (GP) including installation, configuration, backup etc.
· Help users to understand ICT policy and gather feedback from the users on the policy and propose for changes/update.
· Implement, enforce and maintain a proper filling structure on the server for information and file sharing within the offices.
Monitoring hardware maintenance- outsourcing
· Ensure hardware maintenance contracts are renewed and any new hardware is included in maintenance contract once the warranty period is over.
· Ensure preventive maintenance on ICT hardware is done thoroughly by service engineer.
· Ensure service engineers write a report for every problem solved.
· Keep a logbook of action.
· Periodically check workstations, scanning hard disks ensuring virus protection as per Concern’s policies and guidelines.
· Be pro-active and mitigate potential problems before they occur.
· Keep a log of problems and solutions.
· Keep contact with ICT department headquarters and outside ICT companies for necessary supplies and services.
Procurement and Document the IT Inventory and Network
· Give advice on reliable sources for various products and services as required by organisation’s purchasing standards.
· Maintain purchase registers for hardware and software procurements.
· Maintain an ICT inventory and update inventory list.
· Maintain an inventory list for all communications equipment including HF Radios (Codans), VHF radios, VSATs and Satellite phones.
· Update network infrastructure documentation as per changes in the network.
· Manage the use of the organisation’s laptops, desktops, cameras, cell phones and multimedia
· Maintain a register for all special additional licenses and schedule any appropriate renewals and additions with agreement with the IT department.
· Manage the email client system and ensure smooth functioning of email services on a cloud-hosted platform with the other team members.
· Generate requests to create new user accounts and thereafter set up and configure mail client for the user.
· Ensure additions of joiners’ and removal of leavers’ accounts to the e-mail system based on directions from HR.
· Evaluate emerging trends and technologies in the Organisation’s context and present findings, recommendations and specifications through written reports & presentations.
· Participate in and as part of regional ICT network.
· Travel to Concern’s project sub-offices on a regular basis to audit the IT system there and support these offices in any IT related matters.
Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies
· To adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies
· To support and promote the standards outlined in the Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies to their team, partner organisations and beneficiaries, and be committed to providing a safe working environment.
Responding to Emergencies:
· Participate and contribute as necessary towards Concern’s Emergency response as and when necessary
· Comply with Concern’s health, safety and security guidelines during emergencies
Education, Qualifications & Experience Required:
· University degree in ICT (or equivalent qualification from a technical institution or substantial working experience in ICT domain)
· At least five (5) years’ experience working in ICT Support, ICT project planning and helpdesk administration environment
· Excellent knowledge on Computers and related hardware and ability to troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software related problems;
· Good Knowledge of Window 2008/2012/2016 server, windows 7/10
· Good knowledge in software programming and application development including mobile apps.
· Good Knowledge in virtualisation and VMware server/client working environment.
· Knowledge in ICT hosted solutions and cloud-based services especially windows Azure, Office 365, and other platforms such as IaaS, SaaS, and PaaS
· Knowledge on ICT4D related projects methodologies and best practices
· Knowledge is SQL servers and SharePoint services
· Knowledge on Digital Data gathering techniques
· Experience in user Centred design (UCD) approach in supporting Information systems designs
· Experience in organisational ICT projects planning and implementation.
· Good interpersonal skills
· Ability to provide training for small groups based on needs
· Experience in ICT planning and budgeting is desirable
· Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
· Good communication skills on local and international level
Behaviours and Attitude
· Demonstrate understanding and commitment to shared values of the Organisation, mutual respect; equity and justice; honesty and transparency; empathy with poor and marginalised people
· Have a proven ability to work in a multicultural environment
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time