Senior Program Officer – GRIC
Grassroots nest for Innovations and Change (GRIC) is a not-for-profit organization that aims to support and strengthen the capacities of grassroots organizations that work within their communities, to build innovative, sustainable, and scalable solutions that increase opportunities for quality social services including education for all children and youth in marginalized populations in East Africa.
We aspire to be a regional hub for incubating community-led innovations for sustainable change and transformation of education and social services for children and youth in left out communities. We achieve our aspiration through capacity strengthening of grassroots organizations. **
We are currently partnering with 14 grassroots organizations in the informal settlements in Nairobi, and in Kajiado and Laikipia North Counties of Kenya. We are in the process of expanding our work in Uganda and Tanzania.
GRIC seeks a Senior Program Officer to join a vibrant team which is based in Nairobi. The Senior Program Officer role provides an opportunity to apply skills in monitoring and evaluation, project design and fund raising, capacity strengthening of grassroots organizations, and overall community development with a special focus on education for marginalized children, youth, and women. We are looking for an individual who is self-driven and interested in being part of a small team that is committed to supporting lasting change in the communities we serve.
The position is based in Nairobi but with frequent travels to the regions partner organizations are located.
Research, Monitoring, Evaluation and Documentation
· Take a lead role in strengthening monitoring, evaluation and learning systems.
· Effectively document all information related to project successes, innovations and promising practices and disseminate through appropriate mechanisms.
· Ensure identification of research areas, conduct research and document learning.
· Support project baselines and evaluations of GRIC’s projects and interventions.
· Provide leadership in documenting GRIC’s work.
Project planning and implementation
· Establish and strengthen learning communities and support learning among the partner grantees.
· Participate in capacity strengthening of partner grantee organizations and monitoring of sub-grants.
· Identify and build strategic relationships and collaborations with county governments, higher institutions of learning and civil society organizations.
· Initiate and participate in advocacy initiatives at the county level on education-related matters.
· Produce timely, accurate, compliant, and quality reports.
· Participate and represent GRIC in key donor engagements and technical working forums at district, region, and national level when applicable.
· Ensure quality in the roll out and implementation of GRIC’s project models.**
· Ensure cross cutting themes are mainstreamed in GRIC’s projects. **
Resource mobilization and Fundraising
· Participate in designing new projects, concept papers, grant writing and fund-raising.
· Identify and initiate viable funding proposals for resource acquisition to support GRIC’s mandate.
· Master’s degree in education, or related field.
· Knowledgeable in monitoring, evaluation, and learning (requisite experience about two years).
· Experience in project design and grant writing.
· Experience and interest in strengthening grassroots organizations, participatory approaches, and community-driven change.
· Good training, coaching and mentorship skills.
· Excellent, planning, analytical, networking, writing and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent computer skills.
· Excellent use of social media for effective communication.**
Core Competencies and Mind-set
· Believe that all students irrespective of their social backgrounds and status can achieve to the highest level if they are well supported.
· Conviction that grassroots organizations, communities, and parents have a key role of furthering education and supporting children to learn and succeed in school.
· Commitment to improving the status of the less privileged in society.
· Self-awareness, integrity, and empathy.
GRIC’s Work Environment Requires
· An individual who is self-driven, proactive, reflective, analytical, a team player, problem solver, can multi-task and grow and thrive in a start-up.
· Willingness to learn, ability to give and receive feedback.
· Dedication to data-driven evidence and results-oriented.
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Send the application to [email protected] quoting ‘Senior Program Officer’ in the subject tab by 17th August 2021. Please attach a detailed CV that should indicate the contact details of the referees.
GRIC is an equal employer and does not discriminate or engage in activities that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, ethnicity, age, marital status, disability, or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.