Senior Project Associate at UNDP
- To improve respect, enjoyment and promotion of access to justice, human rights and freedoms for Kenyans
- To entrench rights-responsive devolved system of governance
- To improve organizational performance, sustainability and enabling environment for CSOs in Kenya
- To enhance capacity of civil society to respond to contemporary governance issues
- Act as “One-stop-shop” for all Amkeni Wakenya programmatic activities in the Regional Office of responsibility
- Support to Core Project Stakeholders Group (Stakeholder’s Reference Group, Donors Group and Project Approval Committee)Support to Strategic Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
- Support Partnership Building and Resource Mobilization
- Regional Office Team Management Support
- Oversight of project management and grant activities of all counties covered by the designated Regional Office
- At the regional level, provide support in the management of the grant coordination cycle (from call for proposals, assessing grant applications, selection of grantees, approval by grants committee, award, capacity building, monitoring & reporting) and related procurement processes ensuring transparency and project accountability
- Collaborate closely with a team of specialists in the project management Unit (PMU) in managing implementation of grants
- Prepare consolidated documentation on grantees for submission to Stakeholder’s Reference Group and Project Approval Committees; participate in these stakeholders meetings if required
- Ensure that grant funds are advanced on time to implementing partners in liaison with Grants Associate
- As the primary focal point for grantees/Civil Society Organizations in the Region, provide technical advice on grant management & reporting, respond to CSOs’ queries and provide updated information at all times
- Working closely with the Finance Associate, ensure that the Project Manager has detailed insight at all times into planned and actual financial expenditures incurred under Regional grants for all budget lines
- Provides an important feedback mechanism to PMU regarding performance, challenges, critical issues to be addressed at the regional level related to programme design, implementation, communication, monitoring and evaluation & capacity building efforts. These inputs will benefit the design of new initiatives and adjustments of existing ones to better serve the project’s stakeholders & partners
- Implement recommendations of the Project Steering Committee (PSC), Audit and other corporate governance bodies related to Amkeni Wakenya
- Orient new grantees on all areas of Amkeni Wakenya’s work
- Ensure reports are prepared timely and are of good quality.
- With support from the Capacity Building Specialist/Officer, analyze capacity gaps of implementing partners, document them on a regular basis and contribute to development of a capacity building plan. This includes following-up on the implementation of the capacity building plan
- Provide recommendations for strengthening capacities of partners in the regional office
- Assist the Capacity Building Specialist in building technical skills of civil society stakeholders/implementing partners in accordance with their needs through identification of appropriate training activities and organizing the training sessions
- Prepare monitoring & Evaluation plans for the regional office and submit to M & E Specialist
- Ensure financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of projects within the counties, identify operational and financial problems, delays in processing and disbursements of grants and develop solutions
- Arrange and participate in regular visits to the implementing partners, assess the projects, identify gaps, propose optimal solutions and respond in a timely manner to Implementing Partners queries on grants
- Liaise with all relevant partners to determine level effectiveness of the activities and outputs of the project
- Keep an updated risks and issues log and inform PMU about risks and issues arising within or outside the project that are relevant to any of the project components
- In liaison with the PMU, develop, customized and high quality knowledge products for the Regional Office based on an assessment of needs and demand for the products. Such products may include; publications, films, toolkits, how-to-guides etc.
- Organize sessions for implementing partners from various counties within the Regional Office to share information, discuss common implementing issues, challenges, come-up with innovative solutions to accelerate delivery etc.
- Build on success stories from past calls for proposals and highly successful implementing partners.
- Support the grant award decision-making committee meetings of the stakeholder reference group, donor group and project approval committees as required
- Prepare and submit required materials and documentation for these committees such as implementing partners’ profiles, workplans, budgets & performance. Prepare corresponding reports
- Identify partnerships and resource mobilization opportunities for in support of Amkeni Wakenya activities from the respective regions
- Develop close working relationships with all Amkeni Wakenya stakeholders such as county governments, Civil Society Organizations, donors and other UN agencies in the respective regions
- Participate in fund raising activities including meetings with development partners
- In charge of overall Regional Office projects and operations.
- Provide day-to-day guidance, direction and supervision of project driver
- Prepare, consolidates, compile annual, quarterly work plans, progress reports and budgets of the Regional Office
- Ensure effective and efficient implementation of project work plans
- Liaise and provide support to local experts and consultants and for any relevant missions under the project
- Serving as focal point for administrative coordination of project implementation activities, involving extensive liaison with the Project Managers.
- Follow-up on administrative actions, e.g. travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services
- Comply with security and safety standards in collaboration with the Security focal point in the PMU
- Identifies Regional Office needs and strategies using a fact-based approach
- Sets performance standards, monitors progress and intervenes at an early stage to ensure results are in accordance with agreed-upon quality and timeframes and reports on it
- Ensures the full implementation of project objectives and Financial Resources to obtain results
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
- With support for the relevant specialist, identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of national partners, Implementing partners and potential partners
- Aptitude in communicating effectively with different partners involved
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build strategic alliances relevant to Amkeni Wakenya’s mandate and strategic agenda
- Sensitizes UN Partners, donors and other National Stakeholders in identifying areas for joint efforts
- Develops positive ties with civil society to build/strengthen UNDP’s mandate in Democratic Governance
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments
- Takes responsibility for achieving agreed outputs within set deadlines and strives until successful outputs are achieved
- Analyzes information on potential bilateral donors and national counterparts to recommend a strategic approach
- Identifies and compiles lessons learned
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy at the Regional level
- Demonstrable expertise in the areas of democratic governance and key reform areas including governance, law, human rights, devolution and access to justice
- Proven knowledge and experience of the civil society sector in Kenya
- Demonstrable expertise in grants assessment and reviews
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of project management tools and utilizes them in work assignments
- Program management and basic financial skills especially in the area of financial review of grantee reports
- Strong drafting and report writing skills
- Uses ICT and web-based management systems effectively as a tool and resource
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The post Senior Project Associate at UNDP appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.