Situational Analysis for the BAringo Resilience Project
Self Help Africa, with funding from the European Union, is currently implementing a four year initiative under Common Program Framework (CPF) that operationalises the Ending Drought Emergencies Strategy in Kenya that aims to Support Resilience for Sustainable Livelihoods through implementation of the project “BAringo Resilience Initiative; Nurturing Greater Opportunity” (BAringo). The Project is implemented in partnership with Farming Systems Kenya (FSK) and Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII) with close collaboration with the County Government of Baringo and National Drought Management Authority as key stakeholders.
Self Help Africa is seeking a short-term consultant (25 days) to undertake a situational analysis in order to establish the current status of the proposed resilience strategies of our BAringo Resilience Project, identify underlying structural (PESTEL) and geographical constraints and propose recommendations for improvements to support the implementation of the project.
● Identify production constraints related to crop and livestock production and productivity.
● Determine structural challenges related to land use management, access to markets and financial services.
● Assess the level of household malnutrition & dietary diversity constraints especially for pregnant mothers and infants below 24 months.
● Map out potential project beneficiary groups, schools, villages and Wards and respective value chains; and
● Carry out a SWOT analysis.
The following are the key Outputs for this assignment;
● Inception report – should be a maximum of 10 pages, detailing the methodology/approach to be used; checklist for document reviews, the schedule of activities; the tools for data collection and analysis.
● Draft situational analysis report – should be logically structured, contains evidence-based findings, conclusions, lessons and recommendations, and should be free of information that is not relevant to the overall analysis. The report should respond in detail to the specific review questions described above and should be maximum of 20 pages exclusive of annexes. Specifically, the report should include: Table of Contents, Executive summary, Objectives of the analysis, Methodology, challenges, Presentation of findings, conclusions and recommendations.
● Validation – Powerpoint presentation highlighting key findings for review and validation by the project teams in a workshop including project implementation team, Project Steering Committee and key stakeholders before final report is prepared.
● Final report, including summarised findings and key recommendations presented in pdf and word soft copies and two printed and well bound copies.
Key Qualification, Experience and Skills
The consultant (s) must demonstrate knowledge & research and analysis in related fields of this study with sound understanding and application of situational analysis concepts, methodologies and tools.
He/she must have 10 years’ experience and a solid understanding of resilience building programs in ASALs, climate change, Natural Resources management, agribusiness and market systems, policy and governance, peace building, nutrition sensitive agriculture, and gender and enterprise development in the agriculture sector. The consultant (s) must show proven experience in conducting at least two of such similar assignments.
The lead consultant must have a bachelor’s degree in any related fields and be fluent in English with good communication, analytical and report writing skills.
In addition, the consultant should possess the following skills and competencies:
● Post graduate degree in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Natural Resource Management, Economics, Development Studies, Public Policy or any other relevant field
● Knowledge of Baringo County is an added advantage
● Experience in similar jobs with projects funded by the European Union
Full Terms of Reference and tender documents are available here: https://selfhelpafrica.org/uk/q-0935-kenya-consultant-situational-analys…
How to apply
The Consultant is required to respond to the TOR in writing with both technical and financial proposal not more than ten (10) pages detailing how he/she will carry out the activity. He/she should attach his/her previous relevant experience in the specified fields above and if working with a team, the role of the team members in the assignment, their experience, CVs and names of three professional referees. The Consultant (s) will provide his financial proposal which includes professional fees as well as logistical costs in Kenya Shillings taking into consideration the applicable tax implications. The consultant must comply with all statutory requirements (have a KRA PIN and tax compliance certificates). The schedule of the activities should also be outlined in the technical proposal. While the methodology must clearly indicate how to execute the work in view of COVID-19 pandemic.
The Consultant should attach his/her previous relevant experience in the specified field especially with international non-governmental organisations.The Consultant will quote his/her daily professional fees taking into consideration the applicable tax implications. The schedule of the activities should also be outlined in the technical proposal. The proposal should be accompanied by a signed Code of Conduct, a signed Child Protection Policy and a signed Terms & Conditions. The technical and financial proposal should be e-mailed to [email protected] on or before August 4, 2020.