TERMS OF REFERENCE: DEVELOPMENT OF VOLUNTARY SUSTAINABILITY STANDARDS GUIDELINES AND CAPACITY ENHANCEMENT FOR IMPLEMENTERS AND AUDITORS
Solidaridad strives to be an organization that understands the signs of modern times, seeking to be a Society Organization (CSO) with its own place and role in society, while simultaneously interacting with Governments and markets. The organization envisions a world in which all we produce, and all we consume can sustain us while respecting the planet, and the next generations. Solidaridad embraces the public-private and people partnerships (PPPP) in order to test innovations, speeding up change and taking success to scale. Globally, Solidaridad works around coffee and other 12 commodities / sectors (http://www.solidaridadnetwork.org).
TO CERTIFICATION AND BEYOND PROJECT
This is a market access focused project that seeks to promote sustainable coffee, horticulture and tea sectors in Tanzania. Funded by the European Union, the project reaches 21,000 farmers in Zanzibar (Horticulture), Mbeya, Njombe (Horticulture and Tea) Ruvuma and Songwe (Coffee). The initiative’s sustainability objectives include poverty reduction, use of natural resources sustainably and protecting ecosystems, opening local and international export markets, lowering potential hurdles to development and averting the costs of sustainability compliance.
The project considers Voluntary Sustainability Standards (VSS) key in achieving these sustainability objectives. Public and private initiatives including VSS providers are engaged both at standard-setting and implementation stages which are achieved through the promotion of proactive and strategic dialogue in sensitizing and creating awareness to smallholder farmers on sustainable production of high quality agricultural commodities, food safety, benefits of VSS mechanisms and eventual integration of sustainability practices in their business-as-usual model.
The project outcomes include increased knowledge and compliance on Voluntary Sustainability Standards among producers and value chain actors, cost effective and sustainable models of transitioning to compliance for actors along the value chain, particularly for smallholder farmers, and improved access of market niche opportunities for Tanzanian “branded” sustainable tea, coffee and horticulture products.
The overall objective for this project is to address issues surrounding effective use of certification schemes and use of voluntary sustainability standards (VSS) to improve and drive market opportunities for Tanzanian “branded” sustainable tea, coffee and horticulture products.
SCOPE OF WORK AND EXPECTED DELIVERABLES/OUTPUTS/INPUTS
To Certification and Beyond Project seeks the services of a qualified firm/consultant to;
- Initiate development of 3 blended VSS guidelines for sustainability standards in the coffee, tea and horticulture value chains in Tanzania.
- Strengthen the capacity of the project team, and extension workers/officers (drawn from relevant Ministries, Regional administration, Local Government Authorities and consortium partners; TaCRI, TRIT, HORT-TENGERU on VSS principles and certification through trainings and mentorship programs.
- Provide local independent auditors with training to be able to carry out VSS certification audits and support the accreditation process.
The assignment will be delivered in 3 phases as follows;
- Design a time conscious Project charter and project plan that will govern these assignment objectives in a timely manner.
- Undertake desk research and analyze all the necessary documents/training modules, training materials to fully understand the ground situation and existing training material available on Voluntary Sustainability Standards.
- Develop training modules and materials that suit the training needs (for phase 2 and 3).
- Develop 3 comprehensive VSS guidelines per commodity (coffee, horticulture and tea) with a focus on (a) VSS awareness creation (b) integration into existing business models including monitoring and follow-up. This shall be presented in English and Swahili.
- Facilitate a training workshop (ToT)for 120 project staff (Solidaridad, TaCRI, TRIT, HORT-TENGERU) and government extension officers on VSS principles using the approved blended VSS guidelines.
- Facilitate training sessions for at least 15 local auditors and support them throughout the accreditation process, including linking them with the relevant local and international bodies, ensuring that they attend to all necessary tests among others.
- Finalized blended 3 VSS guideline manuals per commodity (English and Swahili versions).
- 120 project staff and government extension workers trained on VSS guidelines.
- At Least 15 local auditors trained and supported to be accredited in order to be in a position to support farmers through the certification process, conduct audits either for a single or multiple VSS.
- 2 progress reports for phase 2 and 3.
- Solidaridad shall provide the consultant with background information on the project.
- Solidaridad shall introduce the consultant to the relevant project team for preparatory planning. It will be the responsibility of the consultant to make contact with any external relevant organization while keeping Solidaridad in correspondence.
- Solidaridad shall identify officers and auditors (trainees) to participate in the training (phase 2 and 3 activities).
- The consultant shall refer and adhere to all relevant statutory regulations.
- Solidaridad in consultation with project partners will mobilize and avail trainees for the particular exercise as per the schedule shared by the consultant and agreed with Solidaridad ECA.
The consultant will directly report to Solidaridad East and Central Africa and the Tanzania Country Manager, while working closely with the Project Manager.
- A one-page application letter
- Detailed Technical Proposal
- Detailed comprehensive Financial Proposal (budget) costs.
- Updated CVs for the consultants and /or the profile of the consulting firm
- Contact details for three references
- A recommendation letter for a past similar successful assignment
- Company Registration and PIN certificates
The deadline for submission of the EOI is10th July 2020
How to apply
The completed proposal together with a budget and work plan (inclusive of relevant taxes) should be sent to:
with the subject reading: EOI– DEVELOPMENT OF VOLUNTARY SUSTAINABILITY STANDARDS GUIDELINES AND CAPACITY ENHANCEMENT FOR IMPLEMENTERS AND AUDITORS