UNOPS Architect Job – Career Point Kenya
In October and November 2019, moderate to heavy rains caused substantial flooding in low-lying areas along the Shabelle and Juba rivers, resulting in several deaths and significant damage to infrastructure, crops, property, and livestock. Subsequently, the World Bank and the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) conducted a joint exercise to assess the losses and damage caused by the floods and to develop a strategy for immediate recovery and longer-term resilience building. As a result the Somalia Crisis Recovery Project (SCRP) was formulated, a project financed by the World Bank and implemented by the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) of the Federal Ministry of Finance (MOF).The project aimed at supporting the recovery of livelihoods and infrastructure in flood and drought affected areas and strengthen the capacity for disaster preparedness nationwide. UNOPS is engaged in providing technical assistance for the project implementation by the Federal Ministry of Finance (MoF). The UNOPS engagement includes the development of architectural designs, specifications and the Bill of Quantities for various Government buildings. In addition to this specific project, there are a number of upcoming building programmes in Somalia where architectural inputs will be required.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The Architect will be responsible for undertaking investigations and the development of architectural designs for building rehabilitation programs, under the supervision of the Lead Architect. S/he in collaboration with the team members will perform the following tasks:
- Assist the Lead Architect with the planning and scheduling for the delivery of architectural outputs as per the project plan;
- Government partners and project stakeholders consultation to collect the relevant input to the architectural concept development and planning;
- Assess the functional requirements of the proposed buildings and develop concept designs including layout plans for the client review and endorsement;
- Subject to the client approval of the concept designs, develop detailed architectural drawings in collaboration with the team members and in compliance with UNOPS design standards;
- Assist the design review by third party in terms of providing inputs and clarifications, and engage in the designs revisions resulting from the review process;
- Assist the client on technical inquiries during tendering / construction stages, and participate in periodic work supervision visits to ensure that the work is done according to the drawings and technical specifications;
- Contribute to the production of ‘as-built’ drawings, and Perform other architectural tasks as directed by the Lead Architect.
Impact of results
The effective and successful performance of the Architect in the delivery of satisfactory architectural services will contribute to the success of the project and will promote the image and credibility of the UNOPS as an effective service provider to the Federal Government of Somalia.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture is required.
- A Master’s Degree in Architecture is an asset but not required.
B. Work Experience
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in building architectural design is required.
- A minimum of one (1) in use of architectural drafting software such as AutoCAD/ArchiCAD or REVIT is required.
- Familiarity with building legislations and designs used in East Africa is desirable.
- Experience/knowledge of Google Suite products, especially google forms, sheets, docs, and slides is desirable.
C. Language requirement
- Fluency in written and oral English required.
D. Additional Consideration:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life Harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
- Nairobi is a Family Duty Station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.**