VSF Germany Communication & Information Management Officer Job
A. Brief Overview of VSF Germany
VSF Germany is an International Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian assistance and development aid to agro-pastoral and pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the Horn of Africa region, VSF Germany implements programmes in South Sudan, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia since 1998. Effective from January 2019, VSF Germany has expanded its programme scope to Uganda. VSF Germany programmes focus on Food and Nutrition Security, Livelihoods, Nutrition, Natural Resources Management, Peacebuilding, Water & Sanitation, Protection and Response to Disasters and Emergencies; and One Health. Each country program is managed through the country offices and country teams. Country programmes are coordinated and facilitated from the Regional Office Nairobi (RON). The organization is a registered charity in Germany with its headquarters in Berlin.
B. Brief Overview of the Project
VSF Germany is a member of the ILRI led Consortium that has received funding from the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to establish One Health Research, Education and Outreach Centre for Africa (OHRECA). The goal of the project is to improve the health of humans, animals and ecosystems through capacity building, strengthening of local, regional and global networks and provision of evidence-based policy advice on One Health in sub-Saharan Africa. The center’s four thematic areas are: control of neglected tropical zoonotic diseases, emerging infectious diseases, food safety and informal markets, and prevention and control of antimicrobial resistance. VSF Germany as partner to ILRI will support the OHRECA project by implementing the project titled “One Health Regional Project to Combat Neglected Tropical Diseases, Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR), Emerging Infectious Diseases (EIDs) and Address Food Safety in Uganda and Kenya for a period of 4 years.
C. Purpose of the Position
VSF Germany has in the last five years promoted One Health Approach in its programming through a strategy of integrated collaborative, multi-sectoral and multi-disciplinary One Health projects in the countries of operation through multi-stakeholder partnerships and engagements. The OHRECA project offers VSF Germany an opportunity to reinforce and further expand the scope of the organization’s work on zoonotic neglected tropical diseases (NTDs), antimicrobial resistance (AMR), emerging infectious diseases (EIDs) and food safety to a regional scale. Successful implementation of the project will require effective internal and external communications and information management strategies to disseminate outcomes and impacts of the project through a variety of communication packages. It is against this background that VSF Germany seeks to recruit a qualified Communications and Information Management Officer to manage its communication, visibility and project banding strategies covering Kenya and Uganda to support the realization of One Health Approach as a key thematic area of intervention in the organization under the OHRECA program.
D. Reporting Lines and Collaboration
The Communications and Information Management Officer shall working under the direct technical supervision of the Regional Head of Programs, and in close collaboration and cooperation with the OHRECA Project Manager /One Health Specialist, Country Director for Kenya, the Technical Project Manager for Uganda, ILRI Communications Officer responsible and other project team members at the countries and at the regional office; other implementing partners/ stakeholders, contracted consultants and associates including the respective country line ministries at the national and sub-regional levels, professional associations, value chain actors and PhD and Msc fellows associated with the OHRECA project implementation in the countries.
E. Key Tasks and Responsibilities
The Communications and Information Management Officer shall be required to perform a wide range of generic tasks specific to the OHRECA Project communications, visibility and branding. Detailed specific tasks shall be elaborated in the Job Description. Generic tasks and responsibilities shall include:
- In collaboration with the ILRI Communications Officer, develop and implement an external and internal communication, visibility and branding scheme / plan for the VSF Germany OHRECA Project,
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan for coverage of activities and events and provide regular updates on project outcomes and activities to key stakeholders through blog posts, articles, newsletters, success stories, posters and other packages appropriate for a variety of audiences,
- In collaboration with the technical project teams, design and produce appropriate Education, Information and Communication information packages for behavioral change communication in line with the needs of the different project components,
- Support the registration of new projects and regular updating / uploading of projects data in the online projects management system (WebMo) and any other platform available for the OHRECA information /data management for progress trucking.
- Work closely with the ILRI Communications Officer as the link to the different OHRECA Project component leads on all matters relating to communications, visibility and branding,
- Support the technical team in the preparation of periodic project technical narrative reports,
- Support production of knowledge products from the OHRECA project for dissemination,
- Support the planning, and facilitation (moderation) of project stakeholder and planning meetings,
- Plan and implement project specific documentaries for dissemination to stakeholders,
- Maintain a catalogue of project pictures, video clips and other narrations for reporting purposes,
- In collaboration with VSFG PR team, maintain & update online content creation through social media
- Maintain a list of VSFG project staff, media and partner contacts in collaboration with line manager,
- Perform other related duties as required or assigned by the line management
F. Essential Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or related field
- 5 years’ experience in communications for development or agriculture
- Experience in developing communication and knowledge management strategies
- Proven ability to communicate research findings, development and extension program outcomes using various media for a variety of audiences
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English
- Expertise in risk assessment and communication in project context
- Experience in developing behaviour change communication plans to reach different audiences
- Ability to facilitate stakeholder meetings and perform effective rapporteuring of the proceedings,
- High level of competency in using a range of web-based and social media tools for communication and information management,
- Knowledge of web design, including use of data management tools e.g. ODK an added advantage
- Knowledge of internal sharing tool such as Share Point, Google Drives etc an advantage
G. Other Requirements
- Team player, self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision
- Ability to prioritize, problem-solve and meet agreed deadlines
- Understanding of capacity development and adult-learning principles,
- Ability to multi task under tight deadlines,
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Application Packages relevant to the needs of the project
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge through informal and formal training.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
H. Selection Criteria
Selection will be based on requirements, competencies and skills outlined above. Shortlisting of candidates will be done on a rolling basis. VSF Germany is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.