WASH Program Officer (Water Supply) at Action Against Hunger
Founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger International (ACF) is an international humanitarian recognized in the fight against hunger. ACF mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts.
Summary of position
Wash Officer position shall take charge of technical aspects of Emergency WASH and Community based water supply system on behalf of the program under the supervision of the Wash Program Manager. His/her main roles and in consultation with the Program Manager and the county government technical teams shall include; designing, planning, implementing (technical oversights), monitoring and reporting on the Programs WASH activities.
The role of the WASH officer will be to carry out community assessments, technical surveys, construction/rehabilitation of water points( such as upgrading of hand pumps to solar system,shallow wells, boreholes and piped network) and emergency intervention where required. Ensure linkage, synergies and complementary with other sector interventions, i.e. Nutrition, Food security and livelihood as well as proper coordination, consultation and information sharing with partners.
Represent Action Against Hunger in all coordination forums at county and sub county level, collaborate with other implementing partners, INGO, UN bodies and the local communities to ensure successful implementation and smooth running of the projects
Successful implementation of WASH interventions in target areas in line with internationally/Nationally accepted standards and ACFs technical guidelines as well as the donor requirements.
- Planning, design and implementation of water and sanitation Projects.
- Identification and technical assessment of feasible water sources at the community level.
- Work in Partnership with government line ministries (county department of water) to prepare technical designs of feasible water supply projects.
- Preparing bidding documents, materials and technical work specifications.
- Regular monitoring of ongoing WASH construction activities to ensure all the activities are as per the design, specifications and work schedule and also Verify the work done at site and recommend for payments to contractors.
- Follow up on all technical aspects of water supply projects (water quality testing and monitoring, yield tests, hydrogeological assessments etc.
- Capacity Building and strengthening of water management committees and linking with private sector service providers for post construction support.
- Information exchange and cooperation with Action Against Hunger interventions and stakeholders
- Collaborate with all other Action Against Hunger departments and sectors to ensure the projects are integrated.
- Coordination with other Partners, Department of water, INGOs, NGOs, CBOs, communities, local leaders and the UN working in this area to ensure smooth running of projects.
- Support implementation of sanitation and hygiene promotion activities
- In coordination with the hygiene and sanitation officer, Monitoring and evaluation officer and county teams, design and conduct all baseline assessment, KAP surveys and follow-up assessment with concrete feedback findings.
- Support planning and implementation of community mobilization activities (using; community led total sanitation and any new methodology that may be introduced and appropriate.)
- Provide technical support to communities in construction of appropriate and context specific household latrine
- Reporting and Program Development
- Compile program reports on a timely basis in liaison with other program staff; Weekly SitRep, Monthly(statistical and narrative), Quarterly and annual donor reports
- In collaboration with the Program Manager prepare progress reports, quarterly donor reports, proposals, Program reports project procurement plan and contributes to survey reports.
- In collaboration with Program Manager and coordination team; contribute in defining technical strategy when required.
- In liaison with the program manager develop project proposal to address County specific gap.
Wash Officer has no staff to manage
- Prepare cash forecast in liaison with the other program staff in line with the work plans
- Ensure the expenditure is as stipulated in the budget lines and strict adherence to the budget limits
- Propose anticipated budget realignment in discussion with program manager
- In liaison with the Program Manager Monitor budget spending in line with spending plan; ensure diligence in grants utilisation including timely spending and value for money.
- Support the Program manager in monthly budget reviews and suggesting amendments to Finance
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for long periods and to concentrate on work, including typing, and turn out heavy volumes of work accurately, within short time frames under stressful situations in the context of a moderately noisy office with many interruptions. Must be able to proofread own work accurately so that only minor corrections are needed on an infrequent basis.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Conditions, Travel and Environment
The duties of the job require regular job attendance for five days per week with eight hours per day. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic based on the office needs. While visiting the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well is to infectious diseases.
Gender Equality Commitments & Zero Tolerance to Abuse
- Foster an environment that reinforces values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance.
- Promote a safe, secure, and respectful environment for all stakeholders, particularly for children, beneficiaries, and members of staff.
- Help to prevent any type of abuse including workplace harassment and sexual abuse and exploitation.
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, children (boys and girls) regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, colour, ancestry, national origin, age, or marital status.
- Value and respect all cultures.
Required Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Degree/Diploma or technical training in civil/water engineering.
- Experience from both private and INGO sectors is an advantage.
- Knowledge of main donor requirements including UNICEF, ECHO, EU,OFDA/USAID donors**
Required Skills & Competencies
- 3 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Previous experience in Arid and Semi-Arid lands of Kenya
- Computer skills with excellence in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Proven ability to work in a team and proven skills in capacity building and community development (including community participation)
- Good level of spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and have impact on input on program indicators
- Demonstrate capacity in constructively engaging local authorities and local partners.
- Excellent organisation, coordination, report writing skills
- Strong and effective communication and presentation skills
The post WASH Program Officer (Water Supply) at Action Against Hunger appeared first on Jobs in Kenya – https://jobcenterkenya.com/.