Posting Title: Website Developer
Department/ Office: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
Duty Station: NAIROBI
Posting Period: 9 March 2021-23 March 2021
Job Opening number: 21-United Nations Human Settlements Programme-151710-Consultant
Staffing Exercise ID: N/A
Result of Service OUTPUT 1: www.gtln.net A revamped GLTN website designed, developed, tested and launched, including ready-to-use templates for various types of pages and posts, content migrated from the current website, and GLTN Secretariat staff enabled to maintain the website.
OUTPUT 2: www.stdm.gltn.net Presentation of the website content improved, multimedia section revamped, mailing list for country partners developed and add relevant sections as advised by substantive officers.
OUTPUTS 3: www.arabstates.gltn.net Improved the ergonomics and interactivity of the current website and consistency in layout, style and colour ensured; social media platforms and mailing list integrated; adequate function of the tri-lingual translation plugin WEGLOT managed.
OUTPUT 4: www.mypsup.org, www.mypsup.org/covid-19/, assistasia.org/PSUP-private-sector-partnership-forum/ 10 country subpages on MyPSUP updated and the PSUP Private Sector Partnership website revamped and transferred to the MyPSUP domain.
OUTPUT 5: All six websites Updated content supplied by substantive officers uploaded in a timely manner and creative presentation that promotes information dissemination proposed
OUTPUT 6: All six websites Comprehensive cyber security policies implemented; search engine optimisation done; analytics and reporting function streamlined.
Work Location: Home based
Expected duration: 6 Months
Duties and Responsibilities BACKGROUND The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The Urban Practices Branch is the Agency’s skills centre for production of tools and methodologies. It develops normative guidance and cutting-edge tools through the following communities of urban practices: (i) policy, legislation and governance; (ii) urban planning, finance and economic development; (iii) urban basic services; and (iv) land, housing and shelter.
Land, Housing and Shelter Section has the mandate to provide professional skills and to develop normative knowledge and products that support a) the equitable supply of serviced land at scale; b) efficient and effective land management systems; c) freedom from arbitrary or forced eviction and the protection of security of tenure for all; d) the progressive achievement of universal access to housing meeting the requirements for an adequate standard of living; e) participatory urban regeneration and slum upgrading initiatives. It focuses on research and tool development also to backstop the Global Campaign on Sustainable Urbanization of the agency, to supply technical advice to Member States and backstop the Regional offices and other sections of UN-Habitat.
The section coordinates two global programmes: the Global Land Tools Network (GLTN) programme and the Participatory Slum Upgrading Programme (PSUP). It also hosts the Secretariat of the Global Land Tools Network, which is a network of over 80 international institutions that was established in 2006 and since then has been working to promote secure land and property rights for all, through the development and implementation of pro-poor and gender-appropriate land tools, as well as supporting governments in the implementation of land sector reforms.
The Participatory Slum Upgrading Proogramme (PSUP) seeks to tackle urban poverty through adaptive and pro-active measures and to enhance management of urbanization through assessment studies and strategic planning approaches for participatory and inclusive decision-making processes and up-scaled participatory slum upgrading.
The products developed through these programmes are disseminated via dedicated websites: www.gtln.net and www.mypsup.org . With the increased growth in the use and application of one of the GLTN land tools – the Social Tenure Domain Model (STDM) – in multiple contexts, there has been an increase in public engagement through information discovery, development support, access of STDM documentation and publications, exploration of collaboration opportunities, and this is done through the STDM website www.stdm.gltn.net. Tools, methodologies and knowledge are also disseminated through the website dedicated to the Arab Land Initiative www.arabstates.gltn.net.
In this context, Land, Housing and Shelter Section is seeking to hire a Consultant Web Developer to provide technical support for the websites, including back-end technical support with a special focus on international compliance on security, usability and reach.
RESPONSIBILITIES Under the overall supervision of the Land, Housing and Shelter Section Leader as well as guidance and oversight by the Communication Officer, the consultant will perform the following tasks and responsibilities:
www.gtln.net Work with the communications team and implement their guidelines for an end-user assessment, conceptualization, design and development of innovative and responsive modern mobile device-compatible website that promotes engagement, facilitates information dissemination and end-user interactivity, supports multiple languages, publications management, event management, mass mailing, social media integrations and audio-visual libraries.
- Develop ready-to-use templates based on a design provided by the communications team for the various types of posts such as news, online and offline events, vacancy announcements, publications, features, audio-visual narratives etc.
- Carry out usability and performance tests by GLTN partners and stakeholders under the coordination of the communications team.
- Migrate all content from the current website to the new website.
- Implement comprehensive cyber security policies according to internationally accepted standards, including but not limited to virus and malware protection, periodic backups, proactive resolution of CMS vulnerabilities and user management.
- In consultation with the communications team, serve as the principle focal point with the various service providers such as website and domain hosts and other plugin third party suppliers.
- Produce technical documentation on the website for webmaster use, develop an end-user manual for routine website security management and conduct training and capacity development for GLTN Secretariat staff in maintaining the website
- Implement search engine optimization and establish a comprehensive and informative tracking of website statistics
- Regular updates of the website.
- With guidance from the communications team, improve the look and feel of the website particularly the presentation of content in the home page.
- In coordination with the communications team, update the website to reflect new changes in country applications, features and versions of the tool, include a section on STDM web component, publications etc.
- With guidance from the communications team, revamp the multimedia section to categorize STDM instructional videos and field stories which includes updating the corresponding links from YouTube and GLTN’s e-learning portal.
- Provide recommendations and integrate a mailing list for country partners implementing STDM.
- Improve front and backend analytical reporting with stats on mailing lists, downloads, videos accessed etc.
- With guidance from the communications team and project officers, incorporate a section on how to contribute to the project e.g. documentation, software development, FIG volunteer program etc.
- In collaboration with the project officer and communications team, improve and support the maintenance of the website: administrative and technical support, security and campaign promotion for increased traffic.
- Liaise with substantive team members and coordination team to understand users’ needs and identify corresponding user interface requirements, workflows and functionalities of the website
- Ensure consistent and interactive layout to ensure visual appeal, consistency in templates, fonts, formatting, icons, images, and downloads
- Upload the most recent content as prepared by the project officers and communications team to appropriate sections in an organized way following specific categories, tags or other subcategories.
- Incorporate functionalities to guarantee the latest information on that section and sub-section is displayed (news, resources, publication/guidance and events at country and regional level).
- Develop interactive functionalities such as a mailing list, FAQ, “Join the Arab Land Initiative”, etc. to implement optimal user interaction
- Ensure Search Engine Optimization organized by different key words and/or categories.
- Establish linkages between partners summary and partners websites through hyperlinks
- Integrate the Arab Land Initiative Social Media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Ensure full functionality of the tri-lingual website (English, Arabic and French)
- Regular content update support and technical maintenance of MyPSUP: www.mypsup.org including news, publications, events, impact stories updates
- Work on the revision of the MyPSUP country subpages – implementing and programming the new template for 10 countries
Content update support and technical maintenance of PSUP COVID-19 Response website https://www.mypsup.org/covid-19/
Revamp the PSUP Private Sector Partnership website https://assistasia.org/PSUP-private-sector-partnership-forum/ in cooperation with the team focal point and the communication expert of PSUP, support to shift the website under the MyPSUP domain.
REMUNERATION This consultancy is output based. The consultant will be paid upon satisfactory delivery of each output.
Qualifications/special skills Competency: Professionalism: Ability to identify issues, analyse and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organising: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Team Work: Works collaboratively to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Skills: Skills in web designing required.
Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines is essential.
Academic Qualifications: Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Computer Science or similar related field is required.
Experience: Five years of experience in web development and maintenance is required.
Experience with usability – usability principles, wireframes, screen layout design, etc is required.
Extensive experience with building DRUPAL, WordPress CMS and working with WordPress at a PHP code level, HTML5 and CSS3 is required.
Knowledge of modern web technologies with strong emphasis on design aesthetics is desirable
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.